Is Mac OS X Leopard going to be a Universal Binary?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
A Universal Binary of the entire OS would be huge ... what a way to make the GBs melt away. :eek:
 

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
5,758
37
London
The current Tiger is a Universal Binary. Hence, I am using it to run my Intel Mac. Of course Leopard will also be a Universal Binary, supporting both Intel and Gx machines.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Sorry never mind/ we will suffer with Fat Binary bloat until Apple decides the PPC has met its life -- 3-5 years.
 

Balli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
netdog said:
The current Tiger is a Universal Binary. Hence, I am using it to run my Intel Mac. Of course Leopard will also be a Universal Binary, supporting both Intel and Gx machines.
Sorry, but I think your a little confused. Tiger is not a Universal Binary. There are currently 2 versions of Tiger, one for PowerPC and one for intel machines.
 

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
5,758
37
London
Balli said:
Sorry, but I think your a little confused. Tiger is not a Universal Binary. There are currently 2 versions of Tiger, one for PowerPC and one for intel machines.
I see that I am not only confused, but just plain wrong.

I had noticed one day that there weren't two versions of OS X at the Apple Store online, so I assumed incorrectly. I suppose it makes sense that OS X for Intel isn't yet sold in a box as they all come with Tiger both installed and on CDs anyway.

Yup, I am wrong. Tiger in a box only supports the Gs.
 

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
368
0
I don't think the OS can be a Universal Binary. At least not realistically.
 

pianoman181

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
104
0
All dvd's shipping with intel macs are universal. The OS can be installed on both intel and ppc based macs. So yes, 10.5 will be "universal." In the retail box, there will be one dvd that will install on G4, G5 (still G3 maybe?), and intel machines.
 

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
1,285
0
29680
pianoman181 said:
All dvd's shipping with intel macs are universal. The OS can be installed on both intel and ppc based macs.
http://rentzsch.com/tidbits/intelbasedMacBootIncompatibility

rentzch said:
You’ll kernel panic if you select the wrong one for the system you’re one, but that shouldn’t cause any damage. Just restart, hold down the option key and use the firmware volume picker to select the partition which matches your machine’s architecture.
What did you do to install the Intel build on PPC hardware? :confused:

pianoman181 said:
So yes, 10.5 will be "universal." In the retail box, there will be one dvd that will install on G4, G5 (still G3 maybe?), and intel machines.
I disagree that there will be one DVD if only to slow down the inevitable pirating of it on beige boxen.