Is Mac really the way to go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cam3ron, Feb 1, 2008.

1. cam3ron macrumors newbie

Hey all, I know what answer most of you will give me. I have been obsessing over a macbook (not a graphics guy, don't need the pro) for a while now. I think I would by a 2.2 GHz white macbook but is it really worth $1199 (educational discount)? I mean for $1199 you can by a notebook with much better specs than a mac. I was just wondering what are the major pros of a macbook over any other type of notebook. Thanks for any input.

2. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

OS X

QED

:apple:

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Macs are easier to use, prettier, no viruses, they do more cool "fun" things...all of these are pretty shallow reasons, but they're many of the reasons I switched.

Honestly, you can do most of the same things on either...but Macs are just built better and they're more fun :)

Also: http://www.apple.com/getamac/

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

you get a iSight
    and iLife ...which is everything you need

just purchase iWork 08..and no need for office...it imports/exports them pefect!

there so sexi too

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I have owned a MB for 19 months, a mini for 18 months. I think Im over the heat now,

Is it good? yes

Would I rate MB over my $400 Acer Aspire? yeah, but other than webcam and mic. my MB functions exactly like my Acer for me. Its not faster, It doesn't offers more functions. Its not lighter, Ubuntu 7.10 even has better eye candies.

So, since I paid $400 for my Acer, I would like to pay $700~800 for MB. $1100 is, IMHO, too much.

Of course, if OSX is exactly your dream OS, and money is not a big concern, go with MB is not a bad option at all.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I think threads like this can go on for days, but IMO, there's only one way to answer questions like these.

Is Mac really the way to go? Yes, for some. No, for other's. It depends on your budget, computing needs, etc. Examine closely the differences between the Mac that interests you and whichever other model computer you are also interested in. Decide for yourself.

Are Macs really worth what Apple charges for them? They sell at those prices, and they sell pretty quickly. So, technically, yes they are. A better questions would be "Is it worth it for me to buy a Mac?". For the answer, refer to my answer to the first question.

Personally, I would choose a Mac over a Windows machine so long as I could spare the extra money. I would hate to have to switch back, and I was a Windows-only guy for about 8 years before switching. Then I became a Mac-only guy.

8. martychang macrumors regular

I'm mainly on the same boat as clevin, but I'll ask this: you say you don't need graphics, but do you need any power whatsoever?

If a simple Athlon X2 mobile or even a Mobile Sempron laptop would be acceptable to you, then you should probably save the cash and grab one of the $399 Dell Vostros. But you say you can get a laptop with "much better specs than a mac" so I get the feeling you do want SOME power.

Obviously, if you truly hate Windows, and/or can't be bothered to figure out Linux, you may need to go Macbook. In my case I find Macs to be the cheapest.
    Apple does not compete in the sub-$1000 range on laptops, and their only entry with graphics is their top end offering. In all the brackets they have offerings for, they are both the best price and best specs. Not best price/performance ratio, better at BOTH. This is especially evident in the Macbook's range, since it's been updated recently, but even the Pro beats the price and specs of many other pro laptops after months of no updates.

Basically:
    "I don't care about the OS or the specs, anything will do" = Acer, Lenovo, Dell
    "I want to game on it without breaking the bank" = Everex, Asus
    "I can't be made to learn a geeky OS but need something cleaner than Windows." = Apple
    "I want top specs on a non-graphics laptop at the best value possible" = Apple(Macbook), Lenovo, Asus
    "I want the best specs of everything, but don't want to spend more money than absolutely necessary." Apple(Macbook Pro), Asus

Really, after shopping around, I find that Apple is consistently far cheaper at the same spec level, or far better specced at the same price. They just opt out of a couple key niches which are popular, if you're in one of those niches then buying an Apple will result in wasted money.

9. kabunaru Guest

The truth: http://www.apple.com/getamac/ :)

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

This, plus the software that comes with the machine, is the answer. If you don't value that then should get a PC. You can get a real Vista laptop for less than half the price. Best wishes.

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Its the whole experience and OS X, you'll never regret it and want to go back ever again.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yes and no. Same reasons as all the previous posters. I mainly got the mac because of the OS.

14. drrich2 macrumors member

Tom & Dick each buy notebook computers.

Tom gets a MacBook. He used Leopard for awhile. 3 months down the road, he uses Bootcamp & Vista Home Premium, or Parallels & Windows XP (with SP2).

Dick gets a Dell.

Now, you've probably got a better idea than I do about what extra hardware spec.s Dick got, if any.

But a year after purchase, Tom's working with Leopard & VISTA, and can choose to use both or one or the other.

Dick is stuck with VISTA Home Premium. (I'm not counting Linux; some do, obviously).

When you buy a Mac, you buy into the option of the Mac experience, while retaining the option (for the cost of the Windows OS (hit newegg.com & aim for OEM/System Builder versions, I believe, to save a lot of money) & maybe Parallels) to have the Windows experience.

When you buy a PC, well, unless you're a Linux sort, you get Windows. Period.

I've historically found that Macs feel more 'organic,' and Windows more like a tool box. Like comparing a home to a house; lot of similarity in function & appearance, but the difference is there.

Richard.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Dick got a Dell, and use the spare $300 to buy a yearly bus pass, he can read and go online while riding the buss everyday, and got his masters degree. At the same time save some green house emmision.

Dick got a Dell, and use the spare $300 to support himself for his last month of colllege life, and got a great job afterward

Dick got a Dell, and use the spare $300 to buy an PDA, or EEE, greatly help his work effeciency on the go.

Nothing is absolute, making imaginitive stories is mostly pointless.

16. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Dual booting if you aren't so sure about OS X. I would put money on you preferring it, though.

There is no reason to get a Windows computer anymore, if you can have the best of both with a Mac.

17. lexlix macrumors newbie

information on a seller's site will never be objective and unbiased. (can you objectively compare your child or pet to other people's? it's impossible even if u tried). therefore not the truth.

ask like minded people (your friends) (ppl in your program at school) (people who have the same computing needs as you at work) see if any of them have any strong opinions.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

To the OP,

You're basically asking us to make the decision for you, and we can't. We all have our reasons for spending the money on a Mac, and many have their reasons for spending the same amount of money, or more, or less on a PC, or Linux laptop... or building their own.

For me it was the software that drove me to the Mac side. Windows just can't cut it with Apple and other 3rd party software IMHO. I can't get work done as fast and as easy and I can't teach other people how things work on a Windows machine as fast as I can on a Mac. There were a billion reason to go to the Mac for me. Now... I have my issues as well.

Like Apple's undying love for consumer products and lack of professional hardware except the Mac Pro. The Mac Book Pro is a middle of the line laptop and there is nothing else Apple can do with its outdated design to change that. PC laptops have been offering more for years but as long as they run the hap-hazard Windows OS, or the unguided Linux OSes, then they are useless to me.

The Mac gives me the best of a solid secure OS that has the guidance of one company and a team of unified developers.

For you, you may want that $400 Core Solo from Acer, or a $3000 Alienware. Apples aren't more expensive by far once you look deeper into the computing world. You just have to make your decisions and choose.

19. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

With Windows, there's more "babysitting" involved. Scans must be run on a pretty regular basis, just to be sure you've not been infected with anything.

On this site alone, there are many anecdotes about people NEVER having a virus on Windows and they've been using Windows w/o antivirus programs for YEARS. If true, they are the exception. EVERY single Windows user I've ever met has some kind of malware on their machine. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've met. So, is it possible to keep Windows clean? Yes. Is it likely to stay clean without protection? I'm not chancing it.

I have a partition for XP on my MBP and use it all the time (love that Spider Solitaire). However, I run Avast and Spybot to make sure it doesn't get anything evil.

So, at the end of the day, it's worth it to ME - not speaking for anyone else out here - to pay the extra bit of money.

20. cam3ron thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the input everyone...I wasn't asking anyone to make the decision for me, it's just that I wanted to see what other peoples' reasons were for going to mac and if it was in fact worth paying a premium for it. From what everyone has posted it definitely sounds like it is worth it and I hopefully will make the transition this week.

21. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Can a virus get into a Mac via Windows leaving the door open? I'm planning on putting XP on my MB.

22. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Yes, it really is the way to go - that is if your the kind of person who wants a happy, fun, trouble free life and want to actually enjoy using your computer.

1) Vista's dreadful performance compared to Leopard is immediately like deducting 1ghz from the PC laptop specs right from the start so that 'cheap PC laptop' isnt' so cheap after all (and any cheap nasty PC laptop will be falling apart in 12 months anyway so it's false economy.

With Leopard your 2.2Ghz Core Duo is FAST with no OS overhead killing it to death.

2) Then you've got the 'brain melting' way of accomplishing anything and everything in Vista - that's like deducting 1ghz from your own brain right from the start - so instead of 'doing great stuff' and 'getting on' you spend your time getting bogged down by Vista 'figuring out' how to make stuff work or waiting for it to actually happen.

With Leopard the OS is just so refined and on top of that the mac 'zen' infiltrates the Apps you run - so it's not just the OS that's better - the apps are, for the most part, a whole load better.

23. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Completely forgetting the operating system here because I think that for a general user, Vista and OS X are on a pretty much even plain in terms of functionality and productivity, with Vista perhaps having the edge in terms of sheer number of useful features vs Mac OS X's gloss.

I love my MacBook because it's a well designed piece of hardware. In fact, I think it's the last great product which Apple has ever released with every new hardware revision to its computer line since then (well, maybe not the Mac Pro) being a complete stinker. I love that it's pretty much flat on the bottom, I love that there are no stupid air vents in silly places, I love that it has lots of power without trying to show it on the outside with silly lights or extra buttons I don't need. I love that it's 13 inches and compact enough to carry around every day but not so small that it's cramped to use. I love that the power connector is so well designed, I love the shape, I love the hardware really.

What I don't think is fair is the unrelenting Vista bashing which goes on here.

24. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Om, lets put it bluntly - Given a choice of flying on two planes across the atlantic - one's built by Dell and running on Vista and the other by Apple and running on OSX honestly tell me which plane you'd get on ?

I can't speak for others...

25. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'd get on the Dell because I know it would be much more tried and tested, what with it running an OS with several times the number of installed users.