is mac right for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lennyg, Dec 6, 2008.

1. lennyg macrumors newbie

hello all
    i am new just joined so i wanna say hello first.i am thinking about buying a mac .imac.i was going to buy a new windows unit,but i am so tired os spyware virus and every other thing that makes pc slows,we would use it for surfing,a few games here and there.video and dc.what do i need to know befor i pluck down 2 grand on a imac,i know this is a mac site.but are they worth it,what should i do.any help..thanks guys

lenny from knoxville tn

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The iMac will do all that just fine( but I'm not sure what DC is, so I can't answer for that), any idea of the games? Just to check, it should handle it fine, but if its a very high requirement game you'll likely wanna check.

Also wait until Mac World San Francisco, we might see new iMacs, so you'll get more bang for your buck

3. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

digital camera thanks dude

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Oh, yea iMac will handle that easy!

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

an imac can do all of that easily. as zap2 said, really high end games might give it some trouble unless you get the 3.06 Ghz imac with the 8800 graphics (although there are videos on youtube of imacs with the ati 2600 playing crysis decently well, so even that would be Ok).

As for whether they are worth it, well this is a mac fan site, so obviously we're gonna say yes. I use windows at work and mac at home, and to me, there's just no comparison. Windows is frustrating and seems to fight me at every turn, and with my mac, everything works as I expect it to. Also, as you mentioned, there aren't any viruses or spyware on the mac worth speaking of. 99% of us have no software to protect against those things and have never had any problems at all.

6. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks,, and i am buying it,,i will buy a refurbised 3.06 1,899... thanks guys,let me call apple now

7. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

congrats on your purchase, you will really love it. The 3.06 Ghz 24" imac is an amazing machine - fast as hell, able to handle any game, gorgeous and spacious screen, whisper quiet. I hope you love it. And feel free to ask questions!

9. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

You will be quite happy. The Mac can do EVERYTHING Windows can do, with the obvious exception of Windows-only software. That's a rarity these days and there are software equivalents as well.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

congratulations! the iMac, as mentioned previously, will fulfill all of your needs and more.

11. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

well thanks guys,, with the free shipping i wont get until friday i guess,,i will be here asking questions for sure;)

12. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Welcome to the party. You might want to cal Applecare and ask if there is a switchers day at your local Apple store soon.

13. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

what is that????

14. Foxtrot Oscar macrumors member

It's a geeky transsexual party.

OK then it isn't really! It's a get to know your mac better day.

Fox

15. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

http://www.apple.com/retail/

Apple retail stores offer workshops and tutorials for users switching to a Mac and want to learn more about the interface/software.

16. descartes macrumors 6502

17. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

apple in

hello all.well mac came in last week,,it is cool.i am going to apple class sunday ,i cant seem to e-mail a video.or take a pic out of iphoto and print on photo paper! but i will learn .this mac is all new to me

18. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

mac book

also is mac for dummies worth the money

19. lennyg thread starter macrumors newbie

my mac

well folks i have the mac a few weeks now.so far i love it,i can do everything that i was doing on a pc and tons more

20. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Congratz! I'm glad you like it. You'll notice yourself learning something new and more convenient every day :)