is mac stolen???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agfox, Aug 26, 2008.

1. agfox macrumors newbie

my girlfrined returned home today with a new boxed imac

a woman at work sold it to her for a amazing price £550 and it retails at 699

it is a 20inch 1gb

my only concern is at such a good price is it stolen?

firstly, is there any way of checking bfore i turn it on?

secondly, if i do turn it on and register it will i have the police come knocking and arrest me?

i know most of you will say about morel dilemers and so fourth, but it was a swwet gestre from my girlfriend, and i dnt want to demand that she take it back!

please help

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I wouldn't worry about the morel dilemer, you didn't steal it. But if it really bothers you, apple can trace the serial number to the original buyer. Maybe give them a call and tell them your concern?

3. agfox thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast responce.

i just dont want to feel uncomfertable when i am surfing online!!!

i am sure that the woman my misus brought it off wouldnt sell stolen goods , but i am just too much of a worier to take any chances!

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I dont think anything will happen to you if you are surfing online or using the computer. The only way something would come up is if you take it in to apple for repairs one day and the serial number was reported stolen. So you can call apple and tell them you are thinking about buying a mac from a friend or something but wanted to verify the serial number was clean first.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I doubt the mac is stolen to be honest, maybe it was just unwated, in any circumstance, there's plenty of ways to check as stated above

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Could just be an older model than what you can buy now. I am sure that would knock £149 off the price.

7. DigiCatRedux macrumors member

DigiCatRedux

Good suggestions on checking with Apple about the serial number.

Personally, I'd lean towards the computer probably being unwanted or just a later-model, than stolen. But yea, it's easy enough to check.

If you boot it up for the first time, and the main volume has a bunch of folders with someones information contained within, that also might be an indication of "stolen".

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Quite possible she is cleaning up the stuff her SO has left in her apartment.

9. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

10. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Yes, call apple with the serial number and they will give you the info as to who owned it. If it wasn't the person you bought it from, well, you have a problem.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I highly doubt that Apple will just give personal information that is attached to a SN to anyone that calls up with a SN. I can maybe see Apple contacting the person themselves whose name comes up, but I can't see them just handing out the info. If they do, it makes me incredibly concerned about the info that I gave them when I registered my products.

Do you have actual experience with this, or is this just hearsay?