Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
hiya guys,

so i am looking at getting a new laptop... and i really want one to be used purely as a portable laptop...

now i understand value for money etc the macbook/pro is the best option.. but i really want this to be fully portable... so im leaning towards the 1.86ghz air with 128gig ssd...

now all i was wandering.. as a web designer there will be sometimes that I want to do design work on the machine.. i do have a main computer tho to do the bigger projects. But I was wandering what peoples experience are with using photoshop cs4 and flash on the machine... being a web designer my files arent ever that big so im assuming 2gb memory is actually enough... but would it prove to be a real drag or would it be useable?

other uses are just normal web surfing.. filling in a blog watching itunes hd movies and imported dvds... but i do want to be able to do smaller design work on it.

your opionions and experiences are greatly appreciated...

cheers

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
In my opinion, the 13" Macbook is very portable. May be a pound or two heavier, but it has way more power.

If you want, get the air. It is still a great machine..

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The Air is great machine, but for less money can get a MacBook which is only slightly heavier, but offers a lot features; plus if you travel a lot, you can get extra batteries.

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
I used photoshop and most of the Adobe Master Suite since June of 2008. I never once had an issue with anything lagging- Photoshop worked perfectly. So did Fireworks, InDesign, After Effects, etc. Of course, the air is not as fast compiling data, flas, ect.. but it did the job faster than many of the PCs I have.

I recommend it, but just so you know.. the air isn't meant to last you very long. Apple has designed their screens and hinges so that you must pay $600-800 each time the hinges break... which they will. Mine just broke a few weeks ago, and Apple does not want to pay for this design flaw. Just be prepared... Apple will not cover anything related to the screen and hinges. They insult you by saying that you forced the screen too far open and that it's accidental damage. Just search Google and you'll see many, many people who have had this issue.

So, all in all, go for the cheaper MacBook and try to get AppleCare. You have 1 year to buy it.. no sense in spending the money now if you don't want to. I hope I helped you!

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
thanks for your opinions...

so even with applecare would the hinges not be covered? is this not a problem that would incur in the macbook?

would people incline more to go with the macbook with the ssd drive similar and so the only difference is the weight yet more performance?

i just feel the air a super piece of kit that is ultraportable... also i can get it for around 1300-1400£ new with the ssd drive... similar to a macbook with ssd...

do people really not advise the air then?

next question would be if im jumpin up to macbook the maybe evn go for the pro 2.4 with ssd and 4gb ram...?

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
also if i decide against an air... what drive would people advise..

macbook... 5400 or ssd?

macbook pro ssd or 7200?

cheers

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
No, AppleCare will not cover the hinges. However, you shouldn't even have to have AppleCare since each notebook comes with a 1 year hardware warranty.. which the hinges should be covered under. It's hell and high water to even talk to these people about the hinges, they have tried to beat me down over it.

Here is what I would do: go for the MacBook. The SSD is nice, but even if the regular drive is not bad; it doesn't get very hot, like PCs. If you can, upgrade the drive RPMs and get as much RAM as possible. The 15" is really a great computer, my girlfriend has it and it's light. The internal components are balanced out perfectly so it feels great to carry it. I suggest that.

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
thanks for the advice...

my concer is if i go for more than the air... id look at 2.66ghz, 260gb 7200, and 4gig memory...

which would be great if not obviously more costly than the air i can get...

the thing being i already have a high spec pc and plan on in the future upgradin to higher spec imac... so i dont need a laptop with power.. just great portability..

do u know if the hinge problem is better now on the 2009 airs?

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
I hear that the Rev B airs are better, but I have a friend who has the Rev B while I have the rev A... and his Air did the same thing. I hate to diss the air, because I truly love it. I understand you need portability over all.. but there is just an unordinary risk with the Air you may have to take. I do not want to influence your decision and have you unhappy in the end, I would feel bad. However, like I said, I am going through hell with Apple and these hinges. I see it as a hardware flaw that Apple knows exists yet refuses to fix. It's a hard situation. My best advice would be to purchase AppleCare with the Air. They may be more likely to fix it if you have AppleCare. Also, the very day play begins to develop in the hinges take it in an Apple store ASAP.

The hinges are made with a "C clasp" which, by nature, eventually loosens. My best guess is the that C clasp was not manufactured strong enough and breaks, which is exactly what happened to mine.

mediamab

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
interesting...

i really value your advice and recommendations..

i would be plannin on getting apple care when i purchase the computer so id have the full cover from day one so yes as you say as soon as i notice one problem then im safe..

with regards to memory is this plenty for my needs?

as i understand its 2gb but 256mb of thats is used for graphics? do the new ones play hd files well and even games - onceover the dvd issue =D

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I use my Rev. B Air for design work on a weekly basis... at studio I plug into a large monitor (of course).

I spend most of my time in Flash CS4 and Flex 4, with the usual asset building in Photoshop CS4 or illustrator. I am quite happy with the machine. Love the portability. I have even done some after effects work on it... but nothing too large.

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Personally i think you should go for the air, 1.5lbs difference is noticeable.

After all you did want this as an ultra portable, the SSD does make a lot of difference but the best thing to do is try them for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.