Is macbook air closer to be the first apple netbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrgeek, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mrgeek macrumors member

I know not many mac users would agree with me but I believe macbook air should transform into the first netbook for apple. The features is not much useful without built in disk drive or increase of storage like hard drives. Not many buyers have desires to own one or at least see it as useful as macbooks or the pro. Also, I believe macbook air product will discontinued if they don't add any upgrades.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

On the contrary, if you need that kind of computer, it beats the c*** out of Windows netbooks.

3. mrgeek thread starter macrumors member

I would agree with you that apple netbook are way superior than acers or hp. The super netbook will dominate like macbook air.

4. Deppe macrumors member

I have both an MBP and an MBA - I have used the disk-drive once and that was to install SL!
    Not many buyers have desires to own one? Built on what? Every time I have been in an Apple store I see people playing around with the Air because of its design but its still an fully loaded computer!
    You are right that they need to add some more upgrades, but as with any Mac, it follows a cyclus.
    Again, the Air is not for everyone, its a niche product and Apple knows that!

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

What is this disk you speak of?

Digital downloads are going to become the future, so Apple as already created a device of the future (ie, no drives). Granted the notebook could use a few more ports, but that may come in time. I doubt Apple will drop it all together, just revamp it.

6. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

In one year and a half I own a iMac, I've used the cd-DVD drive less than 10 times. And in my current notebook I discovered that Vista had disabled the drive after one of the millions upgrades that each week it makes. It was months that it wasn't working.
    So, last thing I need in al laptop is carry always the thickness and weigh of something I barely use.
    MBA is not a netbook. Unless you don't want to consider it a sort of Lamborghini one...it's 4-5 times pricier tha NB. Bigger, although not hevier; much faster.
    It'a superportable laptop as some Sony models are. And because they cost > 1700 bucks and are high-quality built, those are not NB.

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

While I am not the biggest fan in the world of the MBA, it is obviously not a netbook. It has a decent CPU, better GPU, a nice keyboard, a gorgeous display, and is beautifully designed. It would blow any netbook out of the water. The MBA is what it was designed to be an ultra-portable.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Windows netbook - 300$
    MacBook Air - 1500$

MBA is 5 times more expensive so I can't see it as a "netbook" for that price. It's cool but IMO it's luxury product for people who have too much money or really needs ultra-portable

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

The Apple eMate was arguably Apple's first foray into the Netbook category:

[​IMG]

It was out when PalmPilots were the newest, hottest computer gadget running.

The MacBook Air, though, does seem like it follows more of a Netbook design philosophy. Compared to the rest of the lineup, it's pretty minimalistic and more portable. But, as mentioned above, it's a nicer than most netbooks out. It should be, with the pricetag!

Apple's always been pretty progressive. If you think about it, how often do you actually NEED your CD drive? Sure, for burning CDs and importing music, but do you NEED to do that on the go, or can you do it at home with an external drive? Don't most people buy from iTunes or other online music sellers nowadays? Who buys hardcopy CD albums, aside from hard to find stuff?

They did something similar with the 3.5 inch floppy drive on their older laptops--just replaced it with a CD ROM drive, years before CD's and CD:RW's bumped 3.5's out of usage.

Will the MacBook Air be disco'd? Probably. Apple has a history of offering amazing models that are ahead of their time, then scrapping the design when they can't find a market for it instead of refining it.

Personally, I'd love to see a tablet/laptop format jumbo iPod Touch model. Or, at the very least, an external keyboard for the iPod touch.