is MacBook Air superdrive will work in Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atropos, Apr 8, 2008.

1. atropos macrumors member

Hi there:

I just wonder if anyone disassemble the Macbook Air Superdrive, or anyone try to put the superdrive into the macbook Pro as a replacement? Because the price is only 99 bucks but the new Macbook Pro superdrive is 199 bucks in ifixit... so just wonder if it could work~

2. zaney macrumors regular

AFAIK the Air superdrive it too big, and has the wrong connection for and internal mount in a MBP, and it won't work externally as the Air's USB port has been modified to kick out the power the super drive requires, the MPB USB port can't power it.

3. Skystar macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure its a standard slot loading with the standard connector. Whether or not it is slim enough is the issue. I know the macbooks use a slimmer slot loading drive.

4. Crossbone macrumors regular

5. atropos thread starter macrumors member

yea, thats what I m thinking, as I remember the macbook pro's superdrive is thinner than usual slot load superdrive.....not sure if Macbook air is using the same model, however I can't find and ppl disassemble it on internet.... so it is hard to know if it fits or not :confused:

6. zaney macrumors regular

Yea, you're probably right, I was thinking of hooking it up internally as a USB drive for some reason. Excuse my while my brain has a hernia.

Yea, I believe the MBP superdrive is a 9.5mm, and having just looked the Air superdrive enclosure is 17mm deep. So, I would imagine it's probably a 12mm drive inside, given that a 9.5mm is more expensive to produce.
    Only way to tell though would be to take one apart...