is macbook/macbook pro a nightmare ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cudo, Dec 13, 2007.

1. cudo macrumors regular

hi, i am/was considering getting one of macbooks. i love the designe the specs are not bad too. but i hold myslef to do some more reseach and wait to see what macworld will bring. but after reading this forum for some time i am thinking of NOT getting one as it seems as macbook/macbook pro is one big problem. batteries/discoloration/ram/overheating ect.

i have been using pc for 10 years and with no sigle issue regarding hardware. so shell i get one or not ?

cudo

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've been using Mac laptops for years, including my current MBP 2.4, without a single issue.

Not that there aren't any issues - there are with any electronic device...but it isn't that the incidence is higher than PC laptops, it's that Mac users are far more vocal about their problems, and much more likely to feel a sense of betrayal....the result of which are the bitter posts you see here on MacRumors and the arguments they generate on this Mac enthusiast website.

PC users tend to look at their computers as a tool to accomplish a job. Mac users tend to look at their computers as a possession, and they tend to invest a certain amount of their ego in it.

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

No problems with my MBP, keep in mind that people with flawless machines generally do not post on forums. Most people have few or no problems.. check the consumer satisfaction ratings for mac laptops, you will find that they are way ahead other notebook makers.

5. Collin973 macrumors 6502

I second this. No one wants to come on a forum and continuously read that the majority of people absolutely love their flawless macbook. It's not interesting enough.

The number of people who complain about having problems is definitely NOT a representative sample of the population of all macbook/pro users. I've had mine for over year and the only issue has been that the battery has failed twice. That's not the laptop's fault. To my knowledge, Apple doesn't build the batteries.

Other than that, I have had no issues or regrets on the $2k+ i spent on this piece of machinery. No complaints.

I love being able to run Mac OS X and then those rare occasions i need to boot windows, I just do it, and it's done. Most versatile laptop out there, by far.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Just got a new Macbook last week. It's been on all this week... no heating problems at all. been playing around with it a bit, it's pretty zippy, battery life is great and the screen is good but viewing angle does kind of blow. Installed bootcamp and gonna test some games out this weekend. Mainly Half-Life 2, Halo 2, and GTA: Vice City... I'm sure all those will run fine :)

I just want to play Doom 2 and I'll be happy though... or Duke Nukem.

Also have The Movies for my simulation fun :D
    Go buy a Macbook they're awesome.

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I've never had problems with PCs or Macs, neither have any of my friends. Only very minor stuff. Don't read forums to get a representation of a company or a line of computers. If 90% of computers in a line were defective, there would be no one buying them, and they'd be recalled. I've had my Macbook for a few weeks now, running 4GB of RAM and some pretty heavy Audio Editing with Logic and shiz, and it runs amazing. Lose the inhibitions; if you want it, get it =] And good luck.

8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I run a Macbook Pro 2.6ghz 17" High Res Matte with 200 gig 7200 RPM drive and it works fantastic.

No issues. Battery Holds a Charge. LCD 17 high res blows your mind. Never crashes and is nearly as fast as my G5 Quad for straight out app performance (Quad faster by a small margin on mulitask).

Love my MacBook Pro.

9. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have both the 2.4 MBP and 2.2 BLK MB with no problems at all. Love my Macs!! I would not worry. :D

10. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I say go for it, the fact your even considering it means you want one hehe. I was formally a windows user for over 10 yrs. I bought it and never looked back. I have a MBP 17" 2.4 GB. I jumped in the deep end, and liked it that way.

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

nice laptop and photos!!!

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

The other day, I heard my business partner telling someone what a great computer his Dell Latitude laptop has been. Except...that computer has had a motherboard replacement twice. When I brought this to his attention, he said "yeah, but they came right here to the office the next day and replaced it, so I had no down time".

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd like to see Apple do something like that :p

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Wow-that's some pretty sweet customer service.

15. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Aww, thanks :D

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

Well, yeah, but you pay for that when you buy the computer - it's not done out of the goodness of their heart. He had checked the $300 box for 3-year next-day on-site service, and it got tacked on at the price at the end.

OTOH, it is true that Apple, for it's $349 Applecare program, has nothing similar. In this case, his motherboard fried, he called Dell service (Latitude customers aren't routed off-shore), they determined that the motherboard was dead, they overnighted a new motherboard to a local guy that Dell contracts with, he came out the next day and installed the new motherboard right on my parner's desk. It was indeed, pretty slick. They've done that twice.

My son had an Inspiron, and we'd bought it with Dell's "Complete Care", which is a no-fault repair or replace program. He spilled Pepsi into the keyboard. Dell replaced the computer with a new one, but the new one had a DOA motherboard. They did the same overnight motherboard thing, came out to our house and replaced the motherboard on our kitchen table.

I am a believer in Dell service. I'm not so convinced, however, about the quality of their computers. I certainly don't believe they are better or more reliable than a typical MacBook/Pro.

17. farefield macrumors newbie

?

ive had my macbook pro 17 inch for about 5 months with no problems at all.

18. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

only problems i've had so far with my mbp is the MagSafe charger. It was a compound problem though, because since my MagSafe didnt charge correctly it also damaged my battery, but AppleCare replaced both and now its fine again. :)

19. irm16 macrumors newbie

I heart my Macbook Pro

I bought a Santa Rosa machine in June.

I am not Walt Mossberg.

My Macbook Pro is not only the best computer I've ever owned, it may be the best THING I own. I bet I have owned and/or built two dozen computers since my AST 10mhz 286 computer in the 1980's.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I have never had a problem with this computer or the iMac core duo I presently own.

20. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

If everyone made a thread every time they were happy with their purchase the macrumors servers would overflow.

Look at the number of forum members, 127,000. Subtract the number of quality complaints..let's say that 1,000 people are unhappy (this number might even be an inflation) with the current macbooks. That's less than 1%.

Everyone I know with a macbook has had no problems (this is about 20 people).

21. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I don't have a Mac but I do have a fair bit of experience with internet forums mainly from my car (diesel Jetta). If you read the Jetta forums there you will see nothing but problems and honestly had I read those forums before buying the car I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have had the car for 2 years now and nothing has gone wrong with it- to use the old hospital analogy, if you came to America from another country and only visited the emergency room of hospitals you would swear everyone here is in terrible shape.

As for the Mac its just something I want to try out, I haven't had terrible experiences with PC's but they haven't exactly been glowing either. For the price range I am looking at Mac's match up fairly well with PC's, and the customer service I received with my Ipod was amazing so thats why I am going to buy a Macbook. I hear nothing but positives from Mac owners I talk to on a day to day basis so that is a big factor as well. Every single person I have talked to who owns a Mac has recommended it.

22. lazymej macrumors newbie

No, it is not a nightmare.

My MacBook Pro is my most treasured possession.

23. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

I've been pretty happy with my Macbook so far. I have the Rev. B 2.0 Ghz C2D. But I have had a couple problems, namely the common cracking on the edge of the bottom case where the magnet connects, and also the fan acting up which caused overheating issues. But those were fixed very quick when I sent the computer in for repair. It's a very nice machine, and I'd still recommend it, as my experience hasn't been too terribly different from the Dell desktop I'd previously owned.

So... go buy one! Or better yet, the MBP if you have the available funds. =P

24. rozner macrumors member

I just got a Macbook Pro about 1.5 months ago, it's my first Mac. Made the switch from PC. I was convinced a while ago but hadn't needed to buy a new system until recently. So far I've had no problems with it at all. I'm loving Mac OS X. I just find it so much more stable than any Windows OS I've used (and I've used about every Windows OS since Windows 3.0). That being said I have managed to crash OS X but nothings perfect. I even got bootcamp set up as I have some Windows only apps and this machine runs Windows as well as any high end PC notebook.

I was a bit worried spending this much money on a notebook when I could have gone for a much cheaper Dell, but I'm really not regretting it at all. I'm very happy with this machine.

25. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What revision are the MB's and MBP's on right now; have they gotten to revision B yet?