Is Macbook Pro 15 2017 silent/more quiet than 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SolidSan, Jul 26, 2017.

1. SolidSan macrumors newbie

I just got MBP 15 2016 (2.7ghz, rp455) and the fan is almost always on, even while light usage (web browsing, music) or when idle. Is 2017 one same deal in this department or is that one actually silent (not using fans for light usage) and generally more quiet?

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

How long ago did you get it?

If you go to the Activity Monitor, what are your top CPU processes?

3. SolidSan thread starter macrumors newbie

A week ago. WindowServer, Activity Monitor , Kernel Task , Safari, AppleSpell, Hidd, Sysmond - all somewhere between 1-10% usage

4. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I have the same MBP as you and I have to press my ear to the KB to hear the fan usually. Higher loads will of course generate louder fans but even then they are quiet.

5. SolidSan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm often using it in a very quiet environment and can hear the fan even without pressing my head to KB. And when I switch to slightly bigger usage (need to run two windows apps in parallels - did not try VB yet), can hear it loud and clear. And I'm not even talking about trying out games.

Anyway, anyone knows if it's better with 2017?

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

VM is going to eat up the CPU, but it should be fairly quiet when idle. Check CPU usage always, if something's using it, then the fans are going to come on to cool it down.

I find these things whisper quiet at idle which is brilliant, my old MBP was fairly loud at idle, but it's still a notebook so going to get hot and require cooling.