Is Macbook pro 2012 compatible with 27" Thunderbolt display ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricaV, Oct 13, 2013.

1. EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

I did a little homework on my hardware, but I just want to be sure my macbook pro is thunderbolt enabled before I buy this sweet display (refurb for $799) here's what I got:

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
    Device Name: MacBook Pro
    UID: 0x0001000A142512C0
    Firmware Version: 25.1
    Port:
    Link Status: 0x100
    Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3

sorry for being such a dummy- but this means I can connect a device to this Thunderbolt Bus- Co-rrect ?

Any help appreciated !!
    Erica

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

4. EricaV thread starter macrumors regular

EricaV

How is the Thunderbolt display different than the led cinema display 27 inch ???

Thanks for your responses above. Is there advantage to one display over the other ??

5. durkkin macrumors regular

The 27" Cinema Display and Thunderbolt Display are close to identical minus the connection. The Thunderbolt Display ONLY works when connected over Thunderbolt, no backwards compatibility with Mini DP equipped Macs. The advantage, however, is that both video and data are transmitted over that one cable. The Cinema Display on the other hand works with both Mini DP and Thunderbolt equipped Macs. In order to transfer data between the computer and peripherals plugged into the display, there is an additional USB 2.0 cable. You're sacrificing TB connectivity for 2 ports and USB 2.0 (I should note that the USB ports in the TB display are USB 2.0, but they are ultimately being transferred over TB meaning each port will provide maximum throughput rather than bottlenecking into 1 USB port).