Is MacBook Pro optimal for me ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmysoy, May 26, 2015.

1. jimmysoy macrumors newbie

I'm a graphic designer and I use Adobe Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, Indesign and Illustrator.

I have a high quality computer and I usually edit my projects on PC.
    But I also want a laptop that is good for editing or presenting my projects whenever I'm not in my home.

So I picked a laptop that can only fit my budget (see pic below)
    Need your thoughts if this will fits my desire laptop.

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

• mc.jpg
      mc.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
  2. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

I know you said this specific laptop is in your budget, but I really think saving up some extra money for the 15" quad core will benefit you. You get the extra real estate and essentially "twice" the power. With quad core and 16GB standard. That's my opinion

3. jimmysoy thread starter macrumors newbie

But that will took me a lot of time to save more money.
    Although I urgently need a laptop right now to work on projects anywhere and to finish it on time.

4. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Well if you think you will be fine with the 13" than buy it! Nobody knows your computer needs except you. But don't compromise now and regret it later

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

For what you're describing as your needs, having more RAM and the quad-core processor would be very valuable in terms of speed and efficiency. Presentations would run the same regardless of which version you pick up, but the editing and rendering (in After Effects) will get a noticeable boost from the 15" model.

You can also check the Apple website for refurbished 2014 models. Will save some money and still be faster than that base model 13"

6. jimmysoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm not actually looking for a "top-notch" apple laptop.
    I'm just looking for in between level that is good for starters.
    I invest more on my PC because I prefer working with desktop.
    Although I want to have the best of both worlds.

But thanks for the thoughts you shared.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In that case, you'll be better served with the 2.7/8/256 variant. The 128GB is crippling.

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I use just about all of those, and they all run more than good enough on the 13" Retina.

I do highly recommend you bump up to the 256GB model though. That extra space will really benefit you.

9. drawcard macrumors newbie

I am a graphic designer too and I posed nearly the same question as you in Reddit, though I was comparing a specced up 13" vs a base level 15": http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/36k682/sib_upgraded_mbpr_13_2015_or_base_level_mbpr_15/

The answer was strongly voting yes for the 15" option, as the quad core and RAM upgrade will give much more bang for your buck. Though, the 13" is still quite capable if you had that as a choice, as indicated by other designers in that thread.

I took their advice and opted to get the higher end 15" model with dGPU + 16GB RAM as I'd like a machine that lasts me a good 3-5 years before another upgrade. It is only another $500 or so and that isn't much to pay to have a machine that lasts you a long while.

128GB of storage won't be enough for a designer though (unless you use an external drive), but even then with 60GB+ of Adobe software / other design & productivity software, you're going to run out of room pretty quick for things like scratch disks. I currently find having a 256GB SSD in my Macbook Air is too little, and I'm always deleting stuff off my drive to make room for other things.

A 512GB option and RAM upgrade for your 13" is highly recommended, though you may as well pay for a 15" if you're springing for that. That was my reasoning anyway!

10. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I think that should be fine. I will say if at all possible I would recommend the 15in. But if that's way out of your range this will work nicely. I don't want to go into details with the 15 as I myself am super OCD with electronic purchases and drive myself nuts with specs vs price comparisons lol

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you are on PC now why get all the new software in OSX. Not every license is transferable. Software can be quite a cost driver when switching platforms. To the mac and if you want to go back or run both at the same time it is an issue.
    Look at a Asus UX501. It can be had relatively cheap, got a great 4k display and is more powerful than the 15" MBP. Windows 10 is actually quite neat.
    If a 13" is prefered those are even cheaper available with very good displays.

12. jimmysoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the thoughts you shared...
    Memory is not an issue, I got a 1TB External..
    I think I just go with the 13" macbook w/ retina.
    I would love to save more but it's very hard to earn more money or it will take me a very very very long time for it especially
    when you're living in a 3rd world country.