is Macbook Pro Retina worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyborg21, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I really want to switch to Mac. I used Windows PCs in my whole life and I want to try something different. I loved it's design, OS X, it's screen, backlit keyboard, multi touch gestures etc. I don't want 13 inch model beacuse it's screen is too small for me. So I want 15'' model but It's expensive. I can afford it but I am afraid to waste my money. I want to use it for at least 5 years, so will it's battery still be OK to use it without carrying charger to everywhere? Will it able to run apps and programs after 5 years? Is it future proof? I am a regular user, I use my computer for browsing web, checking facebook, playing league of legends sometimes (and it's avabile for OS X). Is it worth it?

2. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

I was in a similar dilemma and I went for the late 2013 13" rMBP.

I know you have said you don't want the 13" but I would say it's perfect for your needs for the following reasons:

It's a much better/justifiable price point for getting your first mac
    The 13" is lighter and better for carrying around
    battery life is slightly better (you mention not carrying the charger)
    I have went from a 15" to 13" and I must admit I don't miss the bigger screen at all, maybe try one out in store and see what you think?

In general terms, unless your needs change and you want/need more cpu/memory intensive applications, then I see no reason why your MacBook would not be fine in 5 years time (but it's always hard to predict the future and future needs)

I don't regret getting the mac, it's a joy to use and once you use it you will not want to get back to Windows

3. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

But I always used big screens. Even 15'' looks a bit small to me. 5 years is a long use and 13'' specs looks a little bit low. And what about bettery? Batteries die within time and I heard that replacing bettery is really hard on MBP. Beacuse Ram and other hardware glued to battery. So will battery still OK after 5 years?

4. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

As for battery, it's hard to predict how well your battery will hold in 5 years, depends on usage over that time.

I believe battery can be replaced by apple (maybe someone else can confirm), but it can't be replaced by the user as far as I am aware.

Not sure why you think the spec is low on the 13"?

your uses "I use my computer for browsing web, checking facebook, playing league of legends sometimes (and it's avabile for OS X)"

The 13" will do all of that very well. 15" is def overkill for what your needs are, but if money is no object and you want it, then go for it. If you want to get better value for your money I would go for the 13" and save lots of money, you could sell and upgrade in 2-3 years and would prob still spend less overall than what you would spend on a 15" now to use for 5 years.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Fist and foremost, yes it's worth it....I went from a 17" cMBP to this my current 13" rMBP and it's a fantastic machine. My reservations about real estate etc. proved to be unfounded, and I rarely drop it down.

As far as battery life goes, it's really down to wear and tear, but Apple do indeed replace batteries for around $100.

6. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Forgive the length of this reply, I'm not the best at putting my thoughts in to words. I hope, however you appreciate my logic.

The figures I quote are taken from a quick ebay search so may not be entirely accurate but should be somewhere close to what to expect.

On ebay UK today, I searched for a 2010 Macbook Pro 15 and found that the majority were selling for between £700 and £900. meaning they have depreciated about 50% over 3 years (£800ish) depending on the model and specs of course. I then searched for a 2009 Macbook pro and saw them bidding for anywhere between £200 and £400 meaning the had dropped around 75% over 4 years (£1100+). To me, the depreciation is the real cost of an item. If you buy a computer for £1500 and sell it 3 years later for £750, it cost you £250 a year. If you buy one for £1500 and sell it 4 years later for £350 Its cost you almost £300 a year, either way, less than £1 a day. So whether you keep it for 2 years, 3 years, 4 years or even 5 years the depreciation will only increase as time goes by (apparently about £250-£300 per year, but obviously it will depreciate more the first year and progressively less for year of ownership).

So, buy yourself a rMBP and then immediately start dropping a £1 coin in to one of those giant novelty Whisky bottles every day and each year you'll have saved £365 (£366 in a leap year!) towards the cost of your updated replacement. £1 a day should, by my calculations be far more than the depreciation of the machine so you may even find yourself in a position to buy a higher spec, brand new rMBP after 3 years by combining you Whisky bottle with the resale price of the old one.

A final point, if you believe that £1 a day is too much to be spending on a computer then a Macbook Pro probably isn't right for you and you might be better off going for a cheaper Mac or even a PC. I use computers for hours everyday so would happily pay £1 for that privilege.

7. Gator1pk macrumors newbie

Gator1pk

Yes it is, but only you can make the decision.

I switched to Mac in 2011, after having to replace my second Toshiba laptop each lasting two years due to extreme slow performance. I bought a MBP 13" (2011 edition) and started using Lion. Within a week I was very familiar with the menus and layout of the Mac operating system and the Mac TrackPad is bar none the best. The battery life on that MBP was about 7 hours (versus 2 hours on a Windows laptop). It booted up in a couple of minutes (versus like 5 minutes on any Windows laptop). After two years, I was "lusting" for a 15" retina MBP. I sold my 13" MBP on eBay (the depreciation was about 35%). Good luck getting any money for a used Windows laptop.

I purchased a "refurbished" 15" MBP with Retina and I LOVE IT. It is so fast, the boot up time is like 30 seconds, incredible battery life and the screen is awesome. I'm in my late 40's and my eyesight is not like it was five years ago (reading glasses anyone?). I bought the refurbished MBP directly from Apple, it has the same warranty as a new machine, the laptop looked brand new and had the new LG screen. Within the next 7 months, I can purchase AppleCare and my 15" rMBP will be covered with Apple warranty for two more years. I can see this machine easily run for the next 5 years. Yes, there is no DVD drive, and I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray player/writer that plugs into the USB. I can tell you that I use that drive maybe once a month.

I still use Windows machines at work (Windows 8 is horrible) and because of that I know how nice and stable Apple machines are.

:apple:

8. macrominnie macrumors member

+1

The retina screen is really worth it-very pleasant to look at compared with lower resolution.

The 13 inc rMBP sounds like plenty for the current needs.

For the screen size issue "future proofing", why not get one or two external monitors for where you work most often? You can get an IPS 23 or 24 inch monitor with LED backlight on sale for a couple hundred dollars. A stand alone monitor of decent quality will be better than a laptop screen, and you will be able to use it with any laptop, or thin client, in the future.