Is MacBook Pro worth it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lynkynpark86, Oct 24, 2010.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

I am planning to buy a MacBook, but I'm not sure if I should gat a MacBook Pro, or just the MacBook. The most I will do is 1 xcode project, a few YouTube Videos, PhotoShop CS5, and minor video editing (iMovie). When I do this on my MacBook I have now (I think a 2008 model), I use most of my memory and CPU. I also want it to be fast, not just work. Is the Pro worth the extra 200 bucks for a little bit of a speed increase?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would upgrade the RAM and HD in your current Mac. That should increase the performance. New 13" MBP isn't much faster than your current is, not really worth it

3. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, Thanks!
    Is there any way to upgrade RAM through Apple? I'm more of a software guy, not a hardware guy. I don't want to screw anything up.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Before you complete the purchase you can select the amount of RAM as a build to order customization. However, its generally rather expensive so I would normally suggest a user does it themselves. There are numerous guides etc available.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

See this. It's not hard. I think Apple can do that but they charge a hefty premium for that, so not worth it.

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

If you prefer the MBP then get that instead. For the price difference between the MB (+RAM installed by Apple) and the MBP, you'll get a unibody, backlit keyboard and whatever extra ports. All up to you on your preferences and affordability.