Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kd5dmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Ok, I am a Windows guy that is moving to Mac. I use a core 2 duo dell laptop with intel video on the MB to do photo work in lightroom and photoshop.

I am looking at the black mac book and was just wanting to make sure I will be happy with it. I will be moving to mac versions of lightroom and PS cs3.

Am I correct in thinking that they will work just a fast as they do now or even faster?

I know the MBP would be better but I am limited on $.

Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Stick with the laptop you have unless having OS X is really going to improve your workflow. Some more specifications on the Dell laptop would help as well.

Is there something wrong with it right now?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Stick with the laptop you have unless having OS X is really going to improve your workflow. Some more specifications on the Dell laptop would help as well.

Is there something wrong with it right now?

I agree it sounds like that Dell is a new laptop. Save the cash and when the Dell becomes slow then buy into a Mac :)

kd5dmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Well the Dell is a work laptop that I am using all the time since my personal died.

The Dell has a 2gig Core 2, 2Gb ram and Intel 965 graphics chip.

I really need a personal laptop again to take along with me as I travel.

At some point in time I will get busted for having PS and lightroom on my work system.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
You don't need a dedicated graphics for Adobe apps.

I thought moving hi-resolution images around the screen uses the graphics card - zooming, panning, dragging image blocks around, scanning through iphoto etc ?

...And in time maybe he might try pixelmator and use the real-time filters with core GL?

Hyde244

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
As SDLSteve said, do not buy the Black MacBook and instead buy the White.

They are the exact same model, but you pay an extra $200 for the Black MacBook casing.

Rather, you could spend that $200 on upgrading the RAM on the MacBook.

Bottomline, buy White, not Black.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well the Dell is a work laptop that I am using all the time since my personal died.

The Dell has a 2gig Core 2, 2Gb ram and Intel 965 graphics chip.

I really need a personal laptop again to take along with me as I travel.

At some point in time I will get busted for having PS and lightroom on my work system.
That explains your situation in much more detail. I suggest a refurbished White 2.4 GHz Macbook then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.