Is macinthebox legit

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by saxkid07, Jan 8, 2009.

1. saxkid07 macrumors newbie

I am still looking or an iMac with intel. At macinthebox, the 17" 1.83 with intel used is 575. That seems fairly cheap even for a used one. Has anyone delt with them?

Jake

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I havn't previously bought anything from them but these details may help:

Whois Record for Macinthebox.com ( Mac In The Box )

Owner:
    Nan Xu
    2762 Harlins Dale
    Rock Hill, South Carolina 29732
    United States

Domain Name: MACINTHEBOX.COM
    Created on: 16-Jun-07
    Expires on: 16-Jun-09
    Last Updated on: 17-Jul-07

Administrative Contact:
    Xu, Nan
    2762 Harlins Dale
    United States
    (803) 332-6668 Fax --

Technical Contact:
    Xu, Nan
    2762 Harlins Dale
    United States
    (803) 332-6668 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.DISCOTECHS.COM
    NS2.DISCOTECHS.COM

3. saxkid07 thread starter macrumors newbie

But have you ever delt with them before? They seem like a pretty young site.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Shipping cost not available within shopping cart.
    30 day warranty. Seems to be one person operation.
    Payment via paypal. Can anyone see whether it's going to the real paypal site?

5. Atst44 macrumors newbie

Yes, We are legit.

I am sorry, I just stumbled upon this post and registered so I can answer this question.

I am a non-vested member of the sales team at Macinthebox.com.
    We sell machines and they come with a 30-day warranty.

The Partners that developed this company have a long history in the Import/Export business.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email them, you should get a speedy response.

We will strive to meet all of your concerns and needs.
    Thank you,
    Steven Jones

6. delux246 macrumors member

not legit. If you check the address contact, it belongs to audio production place. If it seems to good to be true, it usually is, especially with macs. The easiest way to tell that these type of sites are fake is by the US address they give. The addresses end up belonging to another company or just a house. Don't buy from macinthebox.com

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

They have no references such as BBB, trustE, or anything like that.
    There's no information on a privacy policy, return policy, or support policy.
    Anytime a price seems too good to be true it's most likely either a scam or a stolen item.
    Stick with reputable companies.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I have absolutely no experience with them, just making some observations-

1. That they are connected to some other business doesn't automatically rule them a fraud IMO.

2. They provide a phone number on their website, along with directions to their physical location. They offer local pickup as well.

3. Their prices are fine, but not unbelievably good IMO. They seem to be around market price for used Macs and Mac accessories.

I'm not saying they are legit, again I have no experience with them. But at least some of the basic stuff checks out IMO. They also sell some accessories (remotes, keyboards, etc.) If you were seriously contemplating ordering a computer from them, you could order something smaller first to at least test the waters.

EDIT- On their links page, there is a link to what is apparently their EBay account (mac.in.the.box), their web site logo is on their EBay page. They have a 99.5% feedback rating (540 feedback total). So I am guessing they are completely legit.

Of course the safest way to buy from them would be through EBay, although I bet they have better pricing on their web site (no EBay seller fees.) If you were in the same area as them, then it would obviously be easy to buy in person so you could inspect the computer yourself.

9. macroger macrumors newbie

I'd also be worried about someone with a very common English name such as "Steven Jones" who writes with Chinese sounding grammar (e.g. "We sale machines"). Could be legit but why risk it?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you're implying all Chinese people have poor grammar? Have you even looked at the American education system lately? If anything we should be ashamed of ourselves.

11. Icarus327 macrumors newbie

Clearing Things Up

Hey Guys,

It's pretty humbling that you guys have taken your time to discuss and post all of these responses regarding MITB. Thanks for the interest.

I hope to address the questions and concerns that have been discussed on this forum:

Is Mac in the Box legit? Yes, it was established in July of 2007 as an LLC which is noted by kastebrust with the whois record for the site.

The site was previously a spam site based in Thailand, which we had a pretty tuff time getting it recognized by google at all. We were then able to get listed on lowendmac.com amongst much larger dealers.

We use paypal as our credit card processing method mainly because we do a fair amount of ebaying and it's a pretty universal form of payment. The add to cart and view cart buttons were generated through paypal, we figured since it was offered we might as well incorporate it into the site.

I agree fendol, both sites are rather juvenile, IMAJ isn't even complete, but it's relative quick to update and simple enough to inform the public on what is available.

Which brings us to Steve, who is a great engineer and a buddy of ours that we have worked with on possible product lines and ideas to improve the website. sale vs sell - honest mistake definitely not an indicator of a person's origins. It pretty funny that you question his ethnicity considering he's a 6'2" caucasian/native american - they don't usually make asian that tall.

As for the address, you're right delux246, it belongs to CHP Productions, a music studio who we rent warehouse space from. We work with a lot of local artists and DJ's and since macs are considered the industry standard we felt that it was a good fit to be in the loop.

old-wiz - honestly, haven't even really thought about registering with the BBB or trustE, the about section on the site covers some of the most common questions that we have received including the return policy, will try to add some verbiage regarding a privacy policy and support policy.

We are definitely a small company, a 3-man company to be exact, with very low overhead, that's how we can offer units at or below market prices. We are trying to build a reputation of being an excellent if not the best source for used macs. We will match or beat most of the prices that are offer by other dealers for comparable systems.

Hopefully I was able to provide some clarification on the matter, again thanks for the interest and let me know if there's any other questions that you may have.

12. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Thanks for the followup Icarus327.

In these poor economic times, it's good to see small businesses hanging in there.

I'll personally keep you guys in mind the next time I'm in the market for a used Mac.

13. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Do you Smell a Rat

I use the do I think I smell a rat method, If I think I smell a rat I look somewhere else. Better to pass on a "good deal" for a "less good deal" if you are not comfortable for any reason with the "good deal"

These guys have been around forever and I would guess the have good buying power so the price is likely to be fair. It is 200 more than macinthebox but no matter how small of a company you are you don't undercut the competition 25%, 10% maybe you just don't have to go that far to win price drive customers.

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/c-u68640

There are many others out there that have been around for years also just google it find the best deal by a company that you can verify how long they have been around and best situation a reputable 3rd party favorable rating.

14. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Stay away

Seriously guys, this is bogus. The owner of the company joins macrumors within a few days of this post. He says he is legitimate so he must be, right? Spend an extra $30-50 on a known seller. This guy could send you a stolen imac and you could be held accountable. This is not worth it. This has the makings of a scam everywhere you look. Like the others have said, if it looks to good to be true....

I'll be the first person to admit my mistakes. I checked their ebay store, it looks very legitimate. They have 540 ratings, mostly positive. There are a couple that said there were major scratches on the product and long shipping delays. But if their ebay feedback is indicative of what kind of operation they are running, it may be ok to buy from them. Still, for some reason it doesn't feel right to me. I would always buy from someone that is known is in the business.

15. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Now I'm not sure if this is the same person or not, but here in Mississippi we have a guy who always has apple products listed on craigslist under macsinthebox, whether or not it's the same group I'm not really sure. I did some research on this particluar person and they also have the exact same listing on craigslist in Ohio... Literally, the exact same post. If it's the same group then I did meet one of the guys(can't remember his name) around christmas. He had a brio wooden train set listed on craigslist and I bought it for my daughter. Seemed like a really nice guy but that doesn't mean you want to do business with them.! Just thought I'd add this.

16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If you think that guy's name that posted from macinthebox is really Steven Jones, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.