Is MacKeeper worth buying?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jae Hokes, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jae Hokes macrumors regular

Does anyone use MacKeeper or find it worth buying? Any feedback would be greatly appreciatedd!

2. gorskiegangsta, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I my opinion, not really. There sure are a few useful utilities in the package such as UnDelete, Shredder, Disk Usage, Backup and Data Encryptor. While they are collectively worth $40, I am not sure you will actually have use of most of them. There are also many useless and unnecessary utilities such as Login Items, Default Apps, Fast Cleanup and Wise Uninstaller.
    ADDITIONALLY, as with any cleaner apps, I would stay away from Cleanup utility. These utilities do very little to actually increase the performance of your Mac and, in some instances, can cause serious system errors and/or instabilities.

3. GGJstudios, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Also, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Read GGJstudio's Post #3 until you have it memorized. In the case of MacKeeper, however, the developers have put up a lot of websites that dispute the notion that it is not a scam. That pretty much confirms the suspicion that it is a scam.