Is MacLoJack working again?

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
The download link on the website ( http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/maclojack/ ) worked and there no longer was a message about disbanding support. Was his "issue" with Apple resolved?

I don't want to find out the hard way that the program no longer works. I'm taking my shiny new Macbook Pro to college and I'd like to have some peace of mind and keep it safe and secure. :)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of both of those services, but I am not willing to pay that much money for that program.

So back to my original question: is MacLoJack working again?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of both of those services, but I am not willing to pay that much money for that program.
:eek:

$99 for 3 years is a great deal if it saves you from ending up losing a $2000+ laptop

Don.Key

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Why bother? At least in Europe AFAIK most household and ALL business insuarances also cover the case of stolen property outside of the home. You just need police report and viola: You get money for brand new notebook.

And before someone says "But what about data": You should have backups anyway!

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Again, thanks for all the replies. But back to m original question, please: Is MacLoJack working again?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Undercover Student Price of $39 for LIFE is Insanely Cheap

Or if you are willing to pay, check out Undercover.
Definitely the way to go Student Rate Only $39 for LIFE.
$39 for the lifetime of the MacBook/Pro? Did you read the student rate?

What do you mean "That much money"? It's like no money at all.

LoJack wants $49 a YEAR. It's the one that is insanely expensive.

NyCwill

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
The download link on the website ( Was his "issue" with Apple [/QUOTE] If he had issues with Apple I wouldn't trust his software. $39 for the undercover is not a lot for you to add security to your $2000+ laptop. You're not just paying for the program, you're paying a for a service. If i were you that would be one of the first thing I get for my laptop.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Is undercover reputable?

They have one customer story on the website that almost looks fake, a belgium address, and no customer reviews or feedback that I can find. I'd be weary purchasing their service.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Is undercover reputable?

They have one customer story on the website that almost looks fake, a belgium address, and no customer reviews or feedback that I can find. I'd be weary purchasing their service.
I have used Orbicule's Undercover for a number of years as an institutional education customer. While I have been fortunate in that I have never had to invoke their services, I can assure you that there is nothing fake about them.

MacDann

Bram Dumolin

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Since LoJack is a commercial trademark (which is licensed to Absolute Software for use with computer software) I would say that Maclojack would have more than 'issues' with Apple to deal with...
Then it would only be a matter of changing the name.
Anyone can send me a copy of Maclojack? I will see what I can do and make a new version. Free of course.