Is MacMall Legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cogi, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Cogi macrumors newbie

Cogi

I am about to buy a rMBP. Here are the specs :

15.4 MacBook Pro (w/ Retina) [ME664LLA]

CPU : Intel Core i7 (Quad Core) 2.4GHz / 3.4GHz [With HyperThreading :cool:]

RAM : 8GB DDR3L

Storage : 256GB Flash Storage

GPU : Nvidia GT 650M & Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

And of course all the other stuff that makes MBP awesome. :)

Its on sale for $1749 [$1900 w/ Tax]

I just want to know if they are a legit company and if their products are brand new?

Thanks in advance! :D

2. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Yep. Greet prices, fast shipping, good customer service. Items are brand new and have the full apple warranty. Macmall is an authorized retailer. It's just like buying brand new from bestbuy or any other authorized retailer.

Plus, you will likely save on sales tax (they only charge if you live in one of 3 or 4 states).

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

They've been in business many years. It's not as bad as up sell camera shops in Brooklyn but to get those prices they do cut corners. I've had weird shipping delays and then boxes show up from other companies. It's mostly about what you're willing to put up with.

4. Johnsyounger macrumors member

Live one block away from one ... They are bad ass. Good prices on apple products and a sick tech department. Accessory prices not great.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I can confirm that they're legit. The prices are competitive and the customer service I had was excellent.

7. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

8. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Don't waste ur time or money. They don't accept returns on apple equipment. How that company stays in business is beyond me

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not entirely true. If you just decide you don't want it, then you can't return it. But if there's a manufacturing defect with it, they'll take it back. I had a 2012 Air that had a bad logic board and bad wifi card. It was less than a week old, so I was able to return it and get a full refund.

10. NukeIT macrumors regular

They have a few Brick and motar stores. And have been around forever

11. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Insert Subliminal Propaganda Here

I've never had any problems. Competitive prices. Good selection. Good customer service. I would buy from them again.

12. jlus3, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Check Stock

I just placed an order with them. However their website was somewhat confusing and there was an apparent change they made overnight (which I can understand, happens). But there was still conflicting information regarding availability. Their category page stated the unit came with Mavericks, while the item page where you added to cart stated it came with Mountain Lion. Once again, no real big deal as I knew I could upgrade easily.

The concern I had was that availability stated up to 7 days, but I received an email after asking why my shipment was backordered that they wouldn't receive product until March 18th. This would now be over 2 weeks from my original order date before it might even ship. Customer Service was polite enough when I called, but couldn't offer much in the way of answers as to the product availability. They offered to change up the order, but it had already been approved from Bill Me Later and I didn't want to tip the 'apple' cart and make anything more complicated.

So I guess my point is, if you have immediate need (as I did. I ordered 2 day Fed Ex), it might be best to call ahead and confirm stock levels. I know that there could be an issue as far as getting a shipment from Apple, which I know could be challenging for an authorized retailer, but I would think they would keep their stock levels more current on their site, but they might be afraid of losing sales.

Would I order again? Probably, but I might go through Customer Service to confirm stock availability. Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

14. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Wow

(sorry, I for some reason pictured Doge when reading this :D )

15. gochi macrumors 6502

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

They sent me a used or open box MacBook a few years back and refused to return it. And just told me sorry for the mistake, take it up with apple. I threatened I was gonna do a chargeback on my cc for them to accept the return. Why does something have to be defective anyways for a return? They are shady. How this company still has customers blows my mind!

17. dynalmadman macrumors member

I just completed my first purchase wit them. I got a rMBP/15/16/512. I also got a Samsung DVD drive. Ordered on a Monday. Puter arrived on Friday and the drive on Saturday.

No tax, free shipping. Their web interface leaves a lot to be desired, Amazon certainly has it right, but all-in-all I am satisfied.

I would continue to buy from Amazon, but they now charge tax in my state and $200 is a significant savings on this purchase.

Michael

18. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Who or what is Doge?

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

20. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

yes, very legit...used them several times myself

21. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

MacMall is an OG in the Mac Catalog world! I bought my first SCSI External CDrW from them! LOL

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

I can't speak for your experience, only my own. The point is, they (Mac Mall) may have some customer service issues, but all companies, including Apple and Amazon, have problems. However, that doesn't mean they don't operate a legitimate business. Mac Mall isn't a scam.

And regarding Mac Mall's return policy, well sometimes that's the price you pay for lower cost goods.

However, I'm in full agreement that if you ordered a new computer, then that's what you should have received.