Is macOS Sierra a worthwhile upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vkd, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Is macOS Sierra a worthwhile upgrade?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2016.
  1. Yes

30.8%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. Depends (more details below)

23.1%
  1. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I am presently using Mac OS 10.9.5 Mavericks and can't decide whether to upgrade or not. I'd really value your opinion so please vote in this simple poll to help me decide.

Thanks

2. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I upgraded a 2009 macbook unibody.

Worked faster.
    Better battery life.
    Managed ram better.

plus all the new bits that came with sierra.
    my favorite bit was able to keep folders at top when using finder just like window does.

as im from windows background that made my mac transition so much easier.
    however now forced o use el capitan without this option.
    Had to sell the unibody.

but will upgraed my imac to sierra one I replaced the CPU.

3. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I honestly can say, except for tabs, the Siri icon and white Notification Center, I don't notice a shred of difference between macOS Sierra and OS X El Capitan. However, coming all the way from OS X Mavericks it's probably a fairly noticeable change.

4. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Well, there ARE broken things in the previous iteration of the system software. There always are: drivers, security holes, improvements in efficiency, bugs, whatever. They might not affect work you're doing or what you're seeing, but a major reason for upgrades is maintenance, accommodating new hardware, and such fixes, not just new features like Siri. And unless you're freezing your hardware and all software in time, you're gonna have to upgrade someday. It's easier to do in small steps rather than large ones...although that might get forced on you if your hardware fails.

Install it on a disk and try it out and see for yourself.

6. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

I really don't understand questions like this. If someone likes Sierra, they'll tell you it's good. If they don't like Sierra they'll tell you it's bad. Just what insight is gained by this?

7. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a good upgrade. I get fewer crashes of Adobe PS with Sierra.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

I chickened out upgrading Apple stuff now and only decide what's right for me....

Something i never thought as being in the Apple world, i always upgraded Apple stuff both hard and software till a few years ago....

I'm still stuck on Yosemite, and while there is issues still,, its nothing major.