Is magic mouse compatible with PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zxcvb, Oct 20, 2009.

1. zxcvb macrumors regular

zxcvb

would this new Magic Mouse work the PC (have bluetooth )?

I just need click, scrool up,down, left, right

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Good question, because I'd just like to know how it'll work on Windows running in VMware Fusion. I ordered the mouse today.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I should work. Maybe it will require drivers.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I think that's the point of the question. Will there be drivers for Windows? It's pointless to say it should work if no one writes the drivers to make it so.

5. Scippy macrumors regular

I would assume, that since apple is advocating using windows though boot camp and virtual machines, that they would support their own mouse.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm sure there will be an update to the Windows Apple hardware drivers app when 10.6.2 comes out.

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use Fusion without Bootcamp so that won't do me any good, unless Apple delivers drivers independent of the Bootcamp drivers installer.

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

If they support it as well as they have the glass trackpad on the unibody Macbooks, we can expect it to be many months before it's even usable.

9. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

My guess would be that compatibility is within the device's firmware, and not the computer's hardware.

I've used both the mighty mouse and apple keyboard with actual PCs with no problem. And I know that certain elements of functionality are within the device's firmware itself. For example, the slight caps lock lag on the apple keyboard is still there even when connected to a real PC.

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Dunno about actual PCs, but at least for Boot Camp...

And this as well...

So it looks like it'll work only on the new iMacs -- and through a "workaround" of sorts since BT isn't supported with Boot Camp on the new iMacs.

11. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Windows has native support for Bluetooth devices including keyboards and mice. Unless Apple is doing something unusual with the Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard they shouldn't be needing to do workarounds to get them to work.

Oh, and as for VMware users the way virtualization works is it creates generic virtual devices in software that the guest OS talks to then the VM software interprets it into a format the host OS can understand. So if you run Windows in VMware or Parallels it the Magic Mouse will work, but it won't have multitouch unless it's built into the VM software.