Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I ask this because what if my iPod touch gets stolen. Then the person who stole it has access to my email and any personal items I have in notes or other confidential emails that could contain passwords and stuff. I wish there was a way to lock Mail so that when you wanted to view your email you had to type in a password first like in Safari.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Can't someone easily bypass the pin by plugging it into a computer?

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I ask this because what if my iPod touch gets stolen. Then the person who stole it has access to my email and any personal items I have in notes or other confidential emails that could contain passwords and stuff. I wish there was a way to lock Mail so that when you wanted to view your email you had to type in a password first like in Safari.

yeah this is the first thing that struck me, obvious oversight if you ask me. Yes you can PIN protect the whole device but thats inconvenient if you only want Mail protected.

A simple remember password option would be nice, I wrote to Apple and asked them this.

I haven't left my Yahoo account on mine, if I need to check my email I will just type in the details as and when

gear714

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
I use the PIN not just to keep thieves out of my email but to make the device itself less attractive to them. It really isn't much of an inconvenience to tap in four numbers.

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I would think in most situations where an iPod is stolen the thieves wouldn't find out its got a PIN until they have stolen it, I'm thinking mugging here, after all the white headphones are a blatant giveaway about wht mp3 player you have

Personally, I do find it inconvenient to have to type in the PIN everytime I want to change albums/songs and without a working remote you have to unlock it even to adjust the volume

spot1701

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Personally, I do find it inconvenient to have to type in the PIN everytime I want to change albums/songs and without a working remote you have to unlock it even to adjust the volume
To change volume, or play/pause/skip tracks, you don't need to unlock. Just double-tap the home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.