Is marketresearch@apple.com legitimate?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marty1990, Jul 16, 2012.

1. marty1990, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

marty1990 macrumors 6502

Received an email today asking for feedback with my recent iPod purchase. I purchased a new Nano about a month ago. Just wondering of the email is legitimate? I opened it on my iPad, but didn't click the link that would inevitably take me to the survey.

I opened the link on my email.

It took me to this;

https://surveys4.advanis.ca/ipod12?u=445351270&model=NA&pas=1649-7327&cnty=UK

Is this from Apple?

2. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is marketresearch@apple.com legitimate?

Posted this in Community Discussion... but dunno if I should have put it there. Dunno if I should put it in here to be honest, but a bit concerned.

Received an email today asking for feedback with my recent iPod purchase. I purchased a new Nano about a month ago. Just wondering of the email is legitimate? I opened it on my iPad, but didn't click the link that would inevitably take me to the survey.

I then opened the link on my email on my Windows machine. I was logged into my Apple account as I was on the discussions page, querying the email. I went through the questions seeing if it would ask for my login details - in which case I'd know it was fake - but it didn't. I didn't finish the survey, it was going on too long.

Anyway this is the site the email took me to.

https://surveys4.advanis.ca/ipod12?u...9-7327&cnty=UK

Is this from Apple?

3. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I think it is legit and the surveys I have done in the past have gone through Advantis. As long as you weren't asked for your login details to your account you should be safe.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I dunno, but those survey links are user-specific, so by posting it anyone who visits it can see your responses and/or mess with them. FYI.

5. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

does Apple give a damn about market surveys anyways? I did never have the feeling.
    They are pretty much saying "we gonna give it to you and you will love it" I got the impression.

6. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, asked Apple about it last night and received and email today. The guy who replied to me said that it didn't appear to be anything to do with Apple.

Now, in regards to phishing/malware etc. how would I know if anything went on my iPad or computer? I've ran an AVG scan on my Windows machine... but can't do anything on my iPad to check.

Thanks.

7. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just a bit confused, because I emailed Apple, and had a reply saying that it wasn't from them, but someone else said they've received Apple survey emails through Advanis. Just concerned about phishing etc.

8. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Who did you speak to at Apple and did you speak to anyone in marketing? If you did not enter any user ID's or passwords as you stated in your original post, you should have no problems.

9. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Erm, I emailed iTunes Customer Support... only email I could find. The rest were all phone numbers to America.

I received this from Apple;

Which worried me a tad, but then I contacted Advanis direct, because after doing some research, I noticed Sprint's website says they use Advanis.

I got this email.

10. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Adobe also use Advanis as many other companies have for quite a few years now.

11. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

12. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

No. It locks it down once the user completes it. (I just checked)