Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In order to install Mavericks (app store version), one must have one of the following OS's? Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion?
This kind of installation appears to be as if it was an OSX upgrade, right?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
In order to install Mavericks (app store version), one must have one of the following OS's? Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Mavericks is a new version of OS X, same as Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. You purchase it from the Mac App Store, which is only available beginning on Snow Leopard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a full version upgrade, not an update. 10.x versus 10.x.x

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It is an entirely new OS X version, and you can upgrade/update from the OS X versions you listed. But you do not necessarily need to have one of those previous versions in place to update to Mavericks. If you made made yourself a USB key installer from the Mavericks installer image you could boot to that and install Mavericks to a completely blank drive. The installer would not look for the presence of the previous OS versions... it would just install Mavericks.

I think what you may be getting at is is this an "upgrade" version like some Windows CDs are so you could only install the "upgrade" version if the previous version was detected on the hard drive. Mavericks is not like that. No previous version is required to install. Does that answer your question?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
The way I see it - an upgrade is worthy of enough features that it's usually paid. Mavericks, in this case, is an update. Personal opinion.

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
The way I see it - an upgrade is worthy of enough features that it's usually paid. Mavericks, in this case, is an update. Personal opinion.

But this is an upgrade with many amazing underlying technology optimizations. It's just that Apple decided to offer all future upgrades for free.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
with many amazing underlying technology optimizations.
One mans 'amazing underlying technology optimization' is another mans 'slower Finder response'.
I've not noticed much in the way of stunning new user level features. In point of fact, the productivity suite Pages, Numbers, etc. has been significantly downgraded. Those Apps no longer contain even the minimum "required" AppleScript libraries.
The PR flacks always want to call things an upgrade. In this case the reality is a bit more of a wash for this end user, an update.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The PR flacks always want to call things an upgrade. In this case the reality is a bit more of a wash for this end user, an update.

An update is a point release, an upgrade is a full release. In this case, Mavericks is an upgrade, not a point release.

Whether or not it came with substantial features, or had regression is irrelevant to what it is.

And yes, in many ways it's a downgrade, but it's still an upgrade ;)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Apple has a way of developing its products by slowly refining them. You see this with their development of their MBP, iMac and iPhone lines, they slowly improve with minor changes and gradually improve. The same applies to their line of OS X products, changes between each 10.X version are minor to moderate with each release. I would make the argument that 10.X would be an upgrade as some older macs are not compatible with the new version, whilst updates usually do not discriminate against the age of hardware.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Personal opinion does not justify nonsense. OS X 10.9 Mavericks is a new full-release version of OS X. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, the previous full release of OS X, was priced at $20. With Mavericks, Apple reduced the price by $20.

The fact that Mavericks has a price of $0.00 does not make it less of an OS that operating systems that cost more. This appears to be your your position--or should I say--"personal opinion." By this logic, Windows 8.1 is the only available new OS. Also, by this logic, no version of Linux has ever been more than an incremental update.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
i just hate how it killed most of the cool mods :(, barely even notice any of the new features lol, maybe its cause I just got a mac haha .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.