Is mbp good for iitk electrical engineering?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by !adarsh!!!, Jun 23, 2011.

1. !adarsh!!! macrumors newbie

I got an admission in indian institute of technology, Kanpur...electrical engineering I want to buy a MacBook pro, but hav some doubts about software comparability issues... I donna why softwares they r gonna use at this IIT, is it ok for me to buy? Thanks.... :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

A MBP makes a fine machine for engineering school in general. Specific school requirements are probably best answered by someone at the school itself. I doubt they will resort to telling you what to buy, but some professors might give assignments using "Windows only" simulation software (Like EES Engineering Equation Solver for instance). I have been able to use EES under crossover (wine) emulation. I also ran into situations where Matlab models provided by faculty contained blocks that would only run on Windows. The bottom line is you could easily do those few things on school-provided computers and use your MBP for writing papers, etc. There isn't any reason I can think of why you shouldn't choose the MBP but again check with the school if you want anything but speculation.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Worst case you could run Windows in Boot Camp or VMWare etc.

But yes, watch out for engineering software that is Windows only. However, at my school, we mostly used the labs for that sort of thing, and only used our own computers for programming projects (using freely downloadable IDEs and tools) or for writing reports. Even so, half the programming work we did was done by ssh'ing into a school-provided Linux account.

I think academically speaking the best tools I ever used on my Mac were Keynote (for giving nice looking presentations) and LaTeX (for writing/typesetting my thesis).

4. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

Yess!

I am in third year electrical engineering and I'd definitly recommend a Macbook Pro, I have been using one for the past two years, and just upgraded to a 2011 one. I use bootcamp which is surprisingly easy to use, and put Windows7 Pro 64 bit, it ran perfect.
    With a macbook pro you'll be able to run everything you need to run, even if you need to use Windows once in a while.

5. !adarsh!!! thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!! nw im definitely going to buy!! :)

6. !adarsh!!! thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!

7. !adarsh!!! thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you! :)
    u made my day!!