Is MBP worth it right now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EtoSaito, Sep 25, 2014.

1. EtoSaito macrumors newbie

Hi I am a newcomer here. I have had plenty of iOS products but recently with OS X Yosemite offering iOS integration I am finally considering a Mac. The question I have is, should I just get a MBP now, or is there something to expect next year that is worth waiting for? I did some reading and it looks like this year all they did was a slight hardware upgrade for MBP.

2. blooperz macrumors 6502

You're talking about computers...At the pace this market is developing at, there will always be something new and better around the corner (within a matter of months) that will make your current hardware look dated, whether you buy it this year or 2 years from now...

Noone knows what is coming next year but basically it will all boil down to --> faster processors, more/faster memory, faster HD's, better battery life

That being said todays machines are more than powerful enough to handle anything you throw at them and will be able to do so for quite a few years, so if you need a machine now, just buy it and don't look back.

If you do end up waiting theres no telling how long you'll be waiting for and if there's even anything coming that justifies the wait... your choice I guess

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmmm.. Not so sure, but __ ..

I suggest that as with Almost Every Other Thing in Life, MBP is ALWAYS 'worth it' _ IF you NEED IT!!

Good Luck with the Quest :D

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

MBP always worth it.

You'll be waiting until mid 2015 fro the broadwell update, the current ones are fantastic machines if you want one now buy one now.

5. Alexjones, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Alexjones macrumors 6502

The deep spiritual answer would be yes. Get it now and enjoy your life with the help of a new MBP.

“Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

6. EtoSaito thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool that sounds like it's worth waiting for. I don't particularly need one right now so I will hold out for 2015.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

a. There is always a newer model around the corner, whither thou buyest now or once you turn this corner and begin approaching the next corner.

b. You can, to a degree, mitigate these worries of obsolescence by "buying up" when you buy a computer - pay a bit more for more RAM and more space. In this order, if you're simply looking at the machine holding it's value:
    1. RAM
    2. HD
    3. Processor

However, it is worth noting that some "around the corners" are more meaningful than others; Processors release on a Tick-Tock cycle. If you really want to make sure you're getting "the latest" wait until the latest machine is on the Tick, not the Tock. Tick heralds new processor design, Tock is more or less a die shrink of the Tick processor. Balance this with your necessity of having a new computer. If you need a new computer, just go buy it. If you can wait for a few months, get the Tick.

8. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

9. woczlf macrumors newbie

Do you need laptop right now? I had my doubts but needed laptop for university and couldn't wait. I'm really happy with it now and really can't see reason for waiting unless you have fully functional laptop and don't need Macbook. Waiting would be long.... more than half an year for sure....

10. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Obviously anything can happen with the 2015 rMBP upgrades, but you should also consider that there have been reports that since Broadwell was delayed, Intel is considering releasing its successor, Skylake, relatively soon after Broadwell hits the market. If this is true (and who knows if it is or not) then how will you feel having the latest and greatest for a short time, only to have its successor make its grand debut. Broadwell seems to be quite a few months away, you might consider purchasing the 2014 rMBP, it is a great machine. Unless of course you do not mind the wait. Good luck!

11. EtoSaito thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I do not mind the wait at all, that was sorta the reason I posted this because if there was nothing substantial to expect next summer I would've just bought one now. Gives me plenty more time to make extra savings anyways. If Skylake is gonna come out in 2015 as well then I would definitely hold out for that.

12. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Yup, Skylake will definitely be interesting. Guess I will just have to use the heck out of my machine now and see what debuts in 2015. :)

13. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

AFAIK the best quality was between 2005-2010
    But I don't know much so.... :p

14. EtoSaito thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah I wouldn't say that...the only reason I am considering Mac now is because they finally have enough features to persuade me away from PC. The form factor got nice and slim for a Pro, they added retina display, and now with iPhone integration coming it actually makes me want one.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Trying to perfectly time purchases of computers or tablets is a losing proposition. Don't bother. Just purchase something and enjoy it. That's what I did about 4-5 months ago and I've been loving every minute of it.

But now , life is way too short. ;)

16. EtoSaito thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not being that nitpicky about the time, I just read that this year had a pretty mediocre upgrade so I want to wait for what's coming next year which should be more substantial. I will probably buy it for sure regardless of what they reveal next year.

17. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

When there were regular yearly Ticks and Tocks - it would make no sense to wait since there was always something new round the corner. However now, especially with Broadwell. The Ticks and Tocks are getting stretched out. So there are specific periods close to a new release where it may make sense to wait a while to procure what will be the latest hardware for a while more. You don't get a discount as time passes on Apple products.

18. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well for me there is no MBP made that I would buy. Until Apple decides to make another 17" model, I have no use for the current models. I do use a Mac Pro with a 30 inch screen and an iMac as well (27"). Just don't like small screens on the current MBP's. Just my 2 cents.