Is mentioning of Kickstarter iPhone projects ok?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Solomani, May 21, 2014.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I know that I have read in the past that MR bans or is leery of people trying to "hawk" Kickstarter projects. But what if I'm not affiliated with the Kickstarter project, I'm not a vendor at all, and I just thought they have a brand new product that is TOTALLY related to iPhones/iPads/Apple devices and that the item in question would be GODSEND for people who use iPhones/iPads (it is a hardware function Apple does not allow on iOS devices, but you do see it on Androids).

Can I then mention it? Or will I still be in trouble? :p

2. joemod macrumors regular

You can send it to macrumors staff via the link at the top of home page. They will decide then and if they post it they will credit you.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You're right that solicitation for funding isn't allowed under our rules. But a project that's already been funded, and in addition is clearly relevant AND linked to by an established member, is fine.

By way of comparison, if a new account or an account with few posts links to a kickstarter project that's clearly in need of funds, that wouldn't be allowed. And even such a post by an established member would come under scrutiny.

4. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Ah, gotcha! Now I understand, so MR is against the solicitation for funding part. Very well then, I will mention it again (and open discussion) when the funding period is over. Thanks for clarification.

5. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Usually with Kickstarters, you get the item cheaper if you fund it, then buying from them afterwards. I'd rather hear about a Kickstarter while it's still running than after.

As long as Macrumors isn't deluged with advertisements, I like the occasional product mention that's sufficiently compelling.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where do you draw the line? If you let one person promote their kickstarter project but prevent another that will be unfair.

7. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I understand it's a slippery slope that may well be best avoided. Just saying my preference, and I trust that MacRumors mods will subjectively find a good balance. I think there's something inherently different about crowd sourced products, that's more community oriented and cutting edge, which appeal to people who follow rumours.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not a matter of trusting the moderation team as much as enforcing the rules consistently and evenly. If we allow some kickstarting projects and not others, that will anger some members and is inconsistent. I can hear some of the complaints now, how the moderation team is playing favorites or being unfair, etc, etc.

It will also increase the work load of our small team, as we will have vet out each kickstarter project just to see if it is acceptable.

I see little benefit and a lot of work and aggravation (for both the moderation team and members) if we were to allow some kickstarter projects through.

9. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I can appreciate those issues, but perhaps it would be possible to have a sub-forum dedicated to that, much like how politics is separated out, the marketplace is separated out, etc.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hmm...

I don't think a separate forum would be ideal. If you're going to promote an iPhone accessory, then it should go in that section. If you're going to promote an in-progress iOS app, it should go in there.

I think a rule like, "your project has to be at least 30 to 50 percent funded before you can advertise it" would be a good way to handle it. Basically, MacRumors shouldn't be your only form of promotion of your product.

Another thing would be that your iOS app has to meet the general rules set by Apple, and Kickstarter. Otherwise there'd be no point in asking people for money to begin with.

And they strictly have to be Apple/iOS/Mac/iPod related.

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I understand all the arguments, and we hear what you're saying. But the site already has exceptions for developers and vendors, with requirements, privileges, and limits clearly outlined. These exceptions give a certain amount of leeway and promotional opportunity already.

This is where the line has been drawn, after quite a bit of experience and discussion. The benefits for some just don't outweigh the drawbacks for the site on the whole.