Is Microsoft office for Mac any good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Deano.uk, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

Ive been offered a copy of MS office 2008 for mac for £9 and would like to know if its worth it?

I use open office a few times a month but its a but buggy.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I used Office 2008 when it first came out and found it very buggy. As a result I brought iWork and now find this much better and Office hard to use. Im sure this is no the case now with Microsoft releasing updates and such.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I use Office 2008 for my school work and it works fine. No crashes, freezes or any incompatible files like i used to get when using OpenOffice.

I suggest you update it to the latest patch as soon as you get it to avoid any issues.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For£9, it's definitely worth it. I like iWork more because it feels faster and "better" on Mac but Office for Mac is okay too. Looking forward on Office for Mac 2010 :cool: Bring in the Outlook!

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It so depends on what you are trying to do. Excel 2008 is brain dead (but then so is Numbers). I had a Word 2007 document fail to import because Microsoft changed their equation editor, but didn't do so in Word 2008. It installs a load of fonts which include a number that are standard fonts for Windows users, so you get compatibility there. Buying those fonts otherwise costs as much as the Office suite! It still doesn't have a good Mac feel. So I keep it around for when I must use it but otherwise use iWork. I also have OpenOffice.org because it will open some Word docs that Word messes up (particularly embedded graphics using Windows Metafile or Postscript formats) and also handles WordPerfect.

7. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

Yeah, my mate has iwork and it seems
    to be faultless for what he does, although he struggled opening a password protected excel doc of mine.

Buying it from this website
    http://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/home.aspx?culture=en-GB

gets discounted through my employer, aparently its ment
    to cost £350 new?

Whats wrong with excel? I wouldnt be using it as a
    power user.

Only mainly powerpoint and word will be used, think ill go for
    it :)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You may want to download the trials of both, Office and iWork and then decide. £9 sounds strange though, are you sure it's legit?

9. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

Cheers, ill try it out.

Yeah, its all legit, its microsofts home use program. Need a special code and a corporate email to get it. I can either get office enterprise 2007 for windows, or office 2008 or mac for 8.95... Its a free licence as long as
    im still an employee and 8.95 is for p&p.

Bargin :)

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, then it's okay :p The price was so cheap that I first thought it's a scam or or otherwise illegal but I understand now :cool:

11. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I've used 2008 since about a month after it came out, and with all the updates it really has come a long way to being a pretty solid product. I would suggest you getting it over iWork because of the compatibility alone. Office 2011 for Mac does come out later this year though, so keep that in mind.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you have a Windows machine or Boot Camp then you might want to grab 2007 for Windows too; assuming that the UK terms are the same as NZ's then you can get both at the same time without paying any additional delivery charges :)

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In general, this is my rule of thumb when asked about Office for Windows, Office for the Mac, and iWork...

If you need strict compatibility with MS Office for Windows, your best bet is to run Windows and MS Office with Boot Camp or virtualized with Fusion/Parallels/Virtual Box (free)/Crossover. This is the only way to ensure you are completely compatible with Office 2003 or 2007 on Windows. You can convert docs to .pdf, but that isn't always an option if you need collaboration.

If you need mild to good compatibility with MS Office for Windows, you can use Office 2004 or 2008 for the Mac, with the understanding they are not equivalents and there is little VBA support in 2004 and virtually none in 2008. Excel will be the primary difference more so than Word. There are converters for .docx available.

If you want a MS Office-like interface, etc. then Open Office/Neo Office are good choices and they are free. But they will not provide strict compatibility with MS Office. They will however, give you a more Office-like experience. They are robust and complete packages from the Open Source community.

If you want the functionality of MS Office with a Mac experience, then iWork is the best bet. It is a great value for the cost. Pages is a great tool, and Keynote is superior to Powerpoint in my opinion. Numbers is good, but does not provide the power of Excel. You can check out a comparison here: MR Guide - iWork v. MS Office. Nothing compares really to Excel on Windows if you need all of the features.

You can also check out Mariner Write and Mariner Calc. Both are decent alternatives, but are not as widely used.

If you just looking for a nice word processing, then Bean is free.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

MacDawg posts a good summary. The key questions you need to ask yourself are, where are your documents coming from, and where are they going?

If you write all your own documents from scratch, e.g. home business, school assignments, letters, and mostly share with people by printing out the document or by sending them a PDF, then you don't really need to worry about compatibility, so use what suits you best.

If you work in a more collaborative environment where people need to send you documents, and you need to send them updates or revisions, then you might want to think about buying Office. Sure, iWork and OpenOffice and the like can read and write Office documents, and if they're very simple documents, that might do you just fine. But people (including yourself) will get irritated very quickly when documents of any greater level of complexity "don't quite open right". Margins are just a bit off, clip-art shows up in the wrong places, fonts don't look right, advanced features get lost.

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

My employer gave me the option to buy via the HUP scheme, for £9 it was worth it. It's not had much use, but at least it's nice to have.

16. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I also got it through an employer scheme for £9 and it's brilliant. You can't beat Microsoft excel. It also performs pretty well on the mac for a Microsoft product.

17. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

I find MS Office a necessity for me, because most often people will send me documents that only Word opens. Since I only use and launch it when I need to, I would say that it's fairly stable and fast for quickly loading a document that you want to view.

I don't know about editing though, because I usually use iWork for that.

18. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I almost never use Excel, but often use both Word and PowerPoint for personal use and for my study. And actually, I think Office 2008 for Mac is a very solid product. For me, it feels and works much better than Office for Windows. I think it's too bad Microsoft is going to bring the ribbon interface to Office 2010 for Mac, as that's exactly what I hate about the Windows version.

19. egrono macrumors newbie

Office Mac 2011

The simple answer is NO! My Excel constantly crashes as does my Outlook. And each time I log back into Outlook, I have to have my admin create a new password. Also, it is impossible to create a mail merge in Outlook in mac. There are many forums about this shortcoming. Microsoft also has the nerve to charge you for customer service as well. Microsoft should be banned from doing business in the United States IMO.

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why did you feel the need to revive an old thread?

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another first and only post to revive an old thread and add nothing of value!
    Just because you've had some problems on your individual computer doesn't mean there's anything wrong with MS Office. There are millions using MS Office for Mac without crashes. You need to diagnose what's wrong with your particular installation, which could be any number of things completely unrelated to MS Office.
    That's false. Mail merge and Office 2011
    Don't blame Microsoft because you haven't learned how to use the software properly.

22. dvbeatty macrumors newbie

Totally frustrating

Having moved over from Windows over a year ago, I find Mac Excel to be particularly frustrating, particularly the lack of support. My most recent issue is that Mac Excel just doesn't want to calculate formulas. The online help I found says I have to have the automatically create radio button in the preferences/calculate set, which I do, but it still doesn't work. Save yourself the hassle and stay on the windows version of Excel. Constant silly issues like this and the extreme difficultly for non technical folks to be forced to use the mouse for so many functions, make it a nightmare. So, either stick with a pc or make sure you use windows on the mac if you are a big excel user. Of course, if you enjoy tinkering and finding solutions to unnecessary bad user interfaces, Excel for Mac is a must.

23. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

I would definitely recommend Microsoft Office for mac. It's much better than Apple's software, especially because of the lack of support on Apple's end. I've had a macbook pro for a few years now and always used Microsoft Office on it. You can also get it for a $20 discount on amazon at the moment, link below.

Microsoft Office for mac

24. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

25. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i love how a thread goes low for a while until someone just randomly decides to comment on it and then a bunch of other people comment on it and then a bunch more people comment on it and then it goes low again and the cycle repeats. lol

*is now a part of the "cycle"*