is Microsoft Silverlight "bad"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by isethx, May 19, 2009.

1. isethx macrumors regular

i recently got netflix and it requires Microsoft Silverlight. I've heard a lot of bad things about it interfering with other video watching programs and it being hard to fully remove and etc

is this true, even worth installing?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

On a site like MacRumors.com, every problem that Mac users have and many that we don't have are reported and discussed til the cows come home. Your post is the first that I have ever heard of Silverlight problem.

I have Silverlight installed on all of my Macs. I have seen no hint of a problem caused by it. I am at a lost how it could conflict with other media content.

3. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

I have been using it for the past 5 months myself. I watch tons of stuff online, because we dont have TV (not cable in each case) so I watch NCIS and some other stuff online :)

Never had issues with other programs I run, and I run a lot of other sound/video programs!

go for it!

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

You'll probably soon discover is is a necessary evil.

On a positive note, no problems here :D

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Major League baseball thinks so they switched to flash

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Oh, and since when do we depend on the MLB for good multimedia platform decisions? :D

Honestly, MacRumors users here constantly say Microsoft products are dumb, but they really aren't. I don't mind Silverlight one bit.

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Its not that bad. It is a little buggy, but it works a lot better then flash for OS X does.

8. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Silverlight is far less resource-hungry than Flash. I actually prefer it on Mac.

I've only had one problem with Silverlight. Sometimes a Netflix video won't load so you have to right click on the video and then bring up Silverlight preferences to clear the cache. Once you do that and restart your browser everything is fine.

9. isethx thread starter macrumors regular

So if I wanted to uninstall iit's easy to and leaves no files behind?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Close your browser and open Terminal; then type this:
    Code:
    rm -rf /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin
    rm -rf /Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg
    rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Silverlight

Just to be clear you type one line at a time and press return after each line.

11. Chronos1976 macrumors newbie

I installed Silverlight to view programs with the ITV Player (www.itv.com). It stutters every 2 minutes :mad: as if it isn't caching the stream and so the slightest disruption is killing the picture. Unfortunately, there is no way to alter the cache in the preferences to test this hypothesis :mad:

However, I have noticed that reinstalling Silverlight makes the problem disappear... until the next new connection :mad::mad:. I'm not going to reinstall Silverlight every time I want to watch a different program on ITV thank you :mad::mad:. The whole thing makes me so :mad::mad::mad:.

My PC friends have the same problem. It might be Silverlight or it could just be the ITV Player. Either way, it has been very :mad::mad::mad:ing trying to watch anything on catchup.

I have a 10 megabit internet connection and BBC's iPlayer manages to stream HD content without problem. Which is very :):cool:

[it's OK, I've calmed down now. Quite chilled. Really.]

12. followme macrumors regular

followme

Silverlight is more crap from the bull that is Microsoft. I wish they would keep their fingers out of more pies. :mad:

MS has a bad rep with ActiveX and their other internet protocol/standard disasters, but Silverlight so far seems... tolerable.

Contact Netflix and complain.

13. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

After using Silverlight since Netflix first started streaming I finally started having this issue. I'm not sure what to do and I'm getting frustrated because Netflix/Silverlight was my one solution to film/television when Hulu/Flash was acting up.

Now Flash and Silverlight are beginning to act the same way. What's interesting is never before has Silverlight kicked on my fans like flash does; again now they are the same.