Is Mighty Mouse any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andy.barron, May 14, 2008.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I have one at work & the battery runs out (it is in the boardroom so nobody ever switches it off) constantly.

I was wondering of those who have one, what is the life span of say re-chargeable battery's if you look after it at home?

Also, what would I need for a PPC G5 to run the bluetooth?

Thanks for any replies:)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A week or two per set of rechargeables. You need a bluetooth card if you don't already have one.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i owned a few bluetooth mice (including the wireless mm), and the battery life was never all that great. it'd last a month, maybe two, but i can't really say what the battery life would be on rechargeables. but all you need for bluetooth connectivity on a powermac g5 is a usb bluetooth dongle.

4. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the swift replies!

Any links for the card or dongle please? (Sorry really lazy response but soooo glad for your help!):)

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I get a month or two from good rechargeable batteries. It doesn't seem to me that I am constantly replacing the battery. Also, I some times don't use it for a couple months and the battery is fine when I decide to use it.

Cheers.

6. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

But are you a good user & turn it off when not in use, or am I missing the point that perhaps being bluetooth it will not use the battery's when inactive?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The mouse sleeps after a period of inactivity. What Mac do you have?

EDIT: I see you have a PowerMac in your profile. Try this: http://tersus.no/bluetooth/

8. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the one at work is a mac mini, but I am looking to purchase it for my Dual 2.7 G5 & possibly a G4 Quicksiver.

Any good?

If so, any links chap for the dongle thing for bluetooth, or is wired the way to go?

thanks for your advice by the way flopticalcube.:)

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

No I don't turn it off. I believe that it goes "to sleep". I need to click the button or move it around to get it to "wake up".

Cheers.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

To be honest, if you have to go dongle, you are better off getting an RF mouse rather than the MM. Some of the Logitech RF mice are really good and often come with a recharging cradle so no battery worries. If you love the MM, however, then bluetooth is the way to go.

11. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Hawkyeye411, its looking like a good purchase!

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i owned a logitech mx revolution (a rechargeable mouse), and the battery life was horrendous. after a couple months of use, i was needing to recharge the mouse every week. very annoying.

13. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry flopticalcube, I don't get RF mouse? Could you explain?
    Reason I like the MM is because I am getting this for my girlfriend that uses my Mac to access her Cirtix server at work & isn't keen on not using her PC (right click being the only difference I know!).

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

RF is short for "Radio Frequency". Basically any wireless mouse that's not bluetooth. Comes with its own USB dongle. If you are going to be using the mouse on multiple Macs than a bluetooth mouse is not a bad idea as you could get a bluetooth card/dongle for each Mac. The mini should have bluetooth already.

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The Might Mouse looks like it has a single button but, you can actually left or right mouse click with it. I switched from a PC so I was used to the right mouse click. It took me a couple months before I realized that I could turn on the right mouse click in system preferences (LOL).

16. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks SO much you two for your help on this, I think a MM & a bluetooth module is the way forward (unless flopticalcube you think otherwise for the RF version as it will be mainly for one Mac).

But thanks again for your input, makes this site the best in my view as any question however hard for the thread starter is only easy if you know the answer!

Thanks again:D

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hey, if your happy with the MM, then go for it. The card runs about $80 so you might be able to find a compatible USB dongle for less. Its also less hassle.

18. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

No I have no preference, just looking for a solution for my girl to use a mac and not buy a pc to get round not having a 'right click'.

19. Adrien Baker macrumors regular

I was skeptical at first, but the poor performance of my Logitech mouse when I got my 'Pro forced me to use the MM, and I actually prefer it now. I think it's a great little mouse.

Adrien

20. macwall macrumors 6502

The thing I hate about the mighty mouse is that I often click the scroll ball down when I'm using it to scroll. It interrupts my work.

21. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

You must have a heavy touch... :) I don't have this problem. But I remember when I switched to this mouse my hand took a little time to adjust. I had to go through the pain barrier for the first month or so. I had pain at either side of my hand