Is migration assistant a merger or a wiper?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alex.purple.mac, Dec 20, 2010.

1. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

In other words, will Migration assistant wipe the data off my new Macbook Pro and replace it with my old macbook's data OR will it just add the data to the new hard drive?

I ask because I have recently bought a new Macbook Pro and I need to transfer the entire account off my old macbook onto it. However the person I have bought it off has already installed Office 2011 and CS5 on it so I don't want to wipe them off the new macbook pro.

If i have put this in the wrong section then I apologise in advance

Here is the link to my other topic, in case anyone can think of a better way for me to do this. I have already got my entire macbook backed up on time machine. One idea that I had was to back CS5 and office 2011 onto a different external HD and then put everything from my macbook onto my pro and then reinstall CS5 and Office 2011 afterwards

2. McGiord, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

As far as I know, the migration assistant will migrate a user from one Mac to the other. So if the users are different there should be no wipe.
    You can check if the software will run in another user, if for example you create a new user, and check if the software runs.
    And make sure that you own the license to use the software that you are keeping from the previous owner.

3. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member