Is (mild) image retention actually normal on 5K iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by James.K.Polk, Sep 13, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I have a late-2014 5K iMac. Just picked it up and absolutely loving it!

I've noticed that against some backgrounds (grey/white, principally) you can sometimes see image retention ("ghosting"), especially in "set" areas - the menu bar (though I normally hide it) and on reminders which don't automatically dismiss along the right side. An image of it is attached - though it makes it look a lot worse than it actually is! [​IMG]

In all cases, the imprinted image disappears within just a few minutes. I've never had an instance (in the short time I've owned it) where that hasn't been the case.

I'm aware Apple has made note of this and suggests setting up a screensaver, which I've done.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I think it was only an issue on the first generation retinas (same goes for early MBP retinas).

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

This Late-2014 is the first generation, right? (I bought it on Craigslist, so I don't know *all* the details!)

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Image retention is a defect, but a very common defect to have on the Late 2014 Retina iMac. For me it showed up on multiple LCD panels, and became more severe over time.

Whether it's worth doing anything about it out of warranty is entirely up to you. But even if you have the panel replaced, chances are it will just come back on the new one.

5. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm actually still in-warranty another month, but because the panel is perfect besides (even backlighting, no dead pixels, etc.), I'm a little hesitant to play the "Apple lottery."

Since I still have the option - do you think it's worth adding AppleCare?

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

A late 2014 in warranty? Was it an apple refurb?

Chances are the panels they're using now are newer, so you'll probably get a good one.

8. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Refurb indeed! I always think about AppleCare for drop/damage protection but maybe it's worth it for a stationary iMac, too!

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would definitely get the panel replaced.

It might be overkill but, I have my iMac settings to change wallpaper every 5 minutes, screen saver after 20 minutes, and screen turn off after 30 minutes.

Doing what I can to not have permanent image retention.

10. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've started doing similar (after finding that document) and nothing (so far, to my eyes) is permanent. But if replacing the panel is just going to get me the same thing - and cause me to take the same precautions - not sure it's all worth it!

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It's worth a shot to try and get a better panel, in my opinion. While you have the iMac in service, ask them to look over everything. Better to make use of AppleCare while you can.

12. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough! I'm still under the 1 year warranty but if I decide to go for the full AppleCare plan, at least I can have it looked at if/when it comes to bother me!

13. lowkey macrumors 6502

I just picked up a late 2014 iMac last week. It was second hand from Gumtree. Unfortunately it too has the image retention problem. I guess it's just something I'll have to live with as it's out of warranty.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah, tbh I'd say it's a no-brainer getting a new panel.

There aren't really any issues with the panels other than image retention on the early ones, so the worst case is you get another one with IR, and then just ask them to replace it again.

Ultimately, refurb or not, you should have a machine without a fault.

15. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Normally I am OCD to the Nth degree about screens, etc., but something about dragging a 27" panel to a store just does not appeal to me, especially when I'd need to go without it for several days - and it's really not been bothersome in my everyday use!

16. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

I have 2015 5K iMac, and after about 20 minutes or so, it has image retention as well, I do however have to change to a dark grey background and turn the brightness all the way up, and stick my nose into the part of the display, where the Dock usually is, and I can see a faint trace of it. But even after an hour, it is no worse than after the 20 minutes.
    Having an IPS display just means this is very likely to happen.

What I am curious about is, how long did those notifications stay on your display??
    Your image retention looks really bad. And though it sucks, my advice would be to get it fixed.

17. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

In that case, the notifications were on overnight... I had accidentally messed with some display settings. So that's why it's particularly bad.

I've noticed the top right corner is by far the worst (IR after ~5 min), but nowhere else does it set in earlier the, say, 20 minutes as you suggested.

Honestly, I'm going to buy the $170 AppleCare and let it roll. It's not worth the hassle of going a week without the computer just to risk having a panel with identical issues!