Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Is there a reason why apple went away from DVI?
is it just so you cant use an apple display with most PCs (that dont have a mini DVI port)?

Or is mini dvi that much better.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Well, it is significantly smaller, which saves space on the logic board in addition to the computer case.

That's about it, really.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Well, it is significantly smaller, which saves space on the logic board in addition to the computer case.

That's about it, really.

So the picture quality is not going to suffer then?
I thought with mini dvi you cannot use all of the resolutions? Or do the ones you cannot use not really matter?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Mini DVI is electrically identical to DVI. The ONLY difference is the actual connector used.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
Well plus mini DVI does audio I believe.

Nope. DVI solely carries video, no matter what kind. The only connectors that carries audio with video (I believe) are the Mini DisplayPort on the more recent MacBook Pros (used to only carry video) and HDMI. I have a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and only video is carried to my TV

dwhynman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Also, you can't use resolutions above 1920x1200, as it is not dual-link
How can that be true if the ACD supports a resolution above 1920X1200. If that is true the MDP must be able to transmit resolutions above 1920X1200. If I am wrong I will be very disappointed when my ACD arrives

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
For what it's worth...

I have a new mac mini, with a mini displayport to DVI adapter (what it came with) and a DVI to hdmi connection to the tv.

I was greatly surprised when i got audio out of my tv, so some dvi connections can carry audio..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.