Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi,
A quick question about matched memory for the Mac Pro I'm about to buy.

I plan to buy a basic configuration of the Mac Pro 3.0 (1 GB RAM - i.e. 2 x 512MB).

Since I plan to add several GB's of third party memory, and since one has to have a memory on each side of the wide memory architecture, can I do the following:
1. Keep the 2 x 512 MB and add 2 GB (i.e. 2 x 1 GB) RAM?
2. Keep the 2 x 512 MB and add 3 GB (i.e. 2 x 1 GB plus 2 x 512 MB)?

I presume that I can't add 3 x 1 GB because this would leave half of one side of the wide memory architecture slot vacant - is that right?

Also can anyone recommend anywhere here in Toronto, Canada that sells third party RAM with "a more robust thermal specification for the Mac Pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many other FB-DIMMs" (From Apple's webpage)?

Thanks,
GVDV

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Yippy,
Thanks for that.

According to an assistant who had to go and ask someone else in the Mac store in Toronto's Eaton Centre when I was there earlier today, you are right. As long as there is an equal amount of memory in each of the two slots (e.g. two 512MB modules opposite one another), then there can be different memory amounts in each of the slots. (e.g. the next slot could contain 2 x 1 GB).

Thanks for your response,
GVDV

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
1. Keep the 2 x 512 MB and add 2 GB (i.e. 2 x 1 GB) RAM?
2. Keep the 2 x 512 MB and add 3 GB (i.e. 2 x 1 GB plus 2 x 512 MB)?

I wouldn't bother with the 2 x 512MB. Either go for 2x1GB or 2x2GB. True 2x512 in the bottom risers of your second riser card would give *slightly* better performance, its not really worth using up your riser cards imo. 2x512 chips aren't that good a deal anyway.

As for memory suppliers in Canada? I've only ever heard good things about CanadaRam.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Spankydeluxe,
Thanks for your advice.

Don't know if it was you, but somebody else talkeda bout Canadaram. I'll check it out.

GVDV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.