Is ML going to cook my 2009 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bking1000, Aug 1, 2012.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I just upgrade from SL to ML (skipped Lion). Much snappier, and it's got some really nice features.

There are two "features" though that are really bugging me.

1) That I cannot run my external monitor, in it's native resolution, while keeping my MBP open. Now, opening my MBP triggers the native LCD, and if I'm mirrored, then the resolution on my external drops, and if I'm doing two screens, then I can lose my mouse. Also, the video card now is running 2 screens, which creates heat

2) ML just seems to run more CPU. The whole laptop is running hotter (by touch -- I don't have any temp gauges). I do use menu meters, and it seems to me the base CPU usage is much higher than when I run under SL.

So, this 1-2 punch means that the fans sound like a jet engine all the time. I can keep my lid shut and cook the laptop, or I can open it and enjoy all the problems of not being able to shut off the laptop LCD.

Am I alone on this?

If I just moved to a more modern MBP, would the newer CPUs handle ML better without all the burn?

2. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

My 2009 MBP is cooler on ML. I don't do that many graphic intensive things though.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

your first point is confusing. what do you mean opening your mbp 'triggers' your native lcd? or losing mouse on two screens? and what does extra heat from running two screens have to do with ML?

i'm running ML on my old 2008 macbook non-pro and its just fine.

4. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

[/COLOR]
    See my post above -- it might actually be MS Outlook that's the issue.

On the screen issue, it may be that you haven't hit this issue yet, if you don't use an External monitor, or if you DON'T want to go dual-screen. You used to be able (in SnowLeopard) to attach an external monitor (in my case it's a 24" Dell), and use ONLY that monitor, while keeping the laptop lid open (for cooling purposes -- the fan draws air through the keyboard). The laptop's LCD would stay off.

With ML, that seems to have been killed. You can no longer keep the lid open, and keep the laptop's LCD off. The LCD comes on, and triggers one of two scenarios: 1) my 24" external drops to my laptop resolution (if mirrored) or 2) I end up dual screen, and therefore the right side of my monitor is no longer a hard edge, but leads to the other monitor.

Again, if you don't use an external or if you prefer a dual monitor approach, then this is a non-issue for you.

You can read more here: http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/15/yet-...nal-lcd-display-of-macbook-pro-with-lid-open/

There are some hacks, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

5. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I have a mid-2009 MBP, ML runs hotter. I am also losing battery at 1% every 1-2 minutes on high performance running only Safari and Mail. I am happy with the OS, much better than Lion and snappier. However, I'm making a trip to the Genius Bar because of the heat/battery issue. I ran Handbrake a few days ago, and it overheated so much it shutdown. I also had the SystemUIServer issue, but it appears to be fixed after deleting the .plist

6. bking1000, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

Did you install a clean copy, or did you upgrade in place over the old OS?

7. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I did an Upgrade and Install, however from the other posts I have seen on this issue, it would not make a difference. But a clean install is worth trying.

8. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again. Also, thanks for the plist tip. That dropped the UIServer process down to 0.4 (getting about 5% of my CPU back again), and my fans stopped spinning audibly. The CPU history is looking much cleaner.

Any other plists I should kill, lol?

9. BizRunner macrumors member

BizRunner

ML has made my 2009 MBP much much faster than Lion.