Is Mobile Me for Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FaustArp, Jul 28, 2008.

1. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

Hi everyone, I was just looking into Mobile Me and was considering signing up but was reading all what it did and was not sure what exactly the advantage of having it is? I don't see anything special about the whole set-up. Anyone that has it would you be able to suggest what makes it worth buying? Lets see who's a good salesman;)

2. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I have it and I love it.
    I get Push Email and all my data is available everywhere I go.

BUT...

To be honest, unless you're a die hard Mac fan there's probably little point to shelling out for it, you can get most (if not all) of the service for free or dis****ed elsewhere on the web.

*** EDIT ***
    HA HA
    Tha's actually a typo above and should read "discounted" - lol

3. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

i don't think anyone here works for Apple so theres no point in us wasting our energy to prove to You who's better at selling an Apple product. If you're interested in it, try the fully functional 60 days trial and see if it fits your need. If it doesn't, then don't buy it. If it does, then buy it.

4. FaustArp thread starter macrumors regular

FaustArp

I guess it's cool that you get 20GB of online storage but i have a external hard drive for that..

And push email doesn't really make sense to me.. Why would i need mobile me to sync with my emails and whatnot, does the iphone not already do this?

I don't know. A lot of people are talking about how great it is but I am trying to understand what actually makes the program worth $100. Just looks to me that I'll get a server name and be able to see all my photos email etc. through it.. worth 100??? meh..

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

If you dont desperately need it RIGHT NOW, i'd wait until they straighten out the lingering issues, then get the trial. Right now there are enough weird bugs that they need another few weeks to really get it moving. Then see if you like it.

6. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

Since you'll get 30 days for free there isn't much reason to tell you.

But let me try. The best thing about this service if you are using an iPhone is: Convenience. I don't know about you, but I usually charge the iPhone near my bed with an USB adaptor. It's just really cool that you don't have to connect the phone to your computer to sync all the changes in calendar and your address book.

Most other features don't make much sense to me. However, I just told some relatives far away that I will send them ~150 pictures from a birthday party. Was a nice occasion to try out the Album functionality. Really nifty compared to the good old resize and embed in html game...

So if it doesn't hurt your budget much and you like things "smooth" it's a good choice. But there are many alternatives providing you with the services you need much cheaper - just takes more time to configure them...

7. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I love mobileme but you can get the same service for much cheaper elsewhere!

for $4 a month you can get the same service from mail2web.com.

However you do get your name@me.com which is a pretty cool email address.

As for what it actually is - well its great for not having to sync your contacts all the time or your bookmarks and for push email...

push email is like getting a sms - its instant - as soon as you are sent an e-mail it pops up on your phone and your phone will alert you.

This is mainly a business feature - as generally people don't need to get emails instantly unless time is important and the e-mails are important but maybe e-mails are important to some of us and so push e-mail is brilliant.

The contacts on your computer and phone and bookmarks are all synced over the air so you don't have to mess about with them changing them from phone to computer etc...

When your taking your iPhone back to apple to be replaced it is very handy as you get your contacts back immediately - you just enter your email and password and they "magically" appear on your phone.

So yes its a luxury and yes you can get it cheaper from mail2web but its still a great package!

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Do you have a Mac computer? Do you have multiple Mac computers? Do you use iCal? Its hard to help you if you dont describe yourself in more detail. But i will tell you what i use MobileMe for.

First of all, i bought .Mac whenever i got my iMac because i have a macbook as well and use iCal religously.

I use MobileMe to keep my iCal synced between my iMac, MacBook, and iPhone. It also gives you the ability to access and edit your iCal from any computer via the web. It also makes it very easy to publish your iCal so that your friends/family/etc can view it or set up calendars specifically for them to view (both online or via their own iCal). This would be handy if you were in charge of some type of club or something like that. My boyfriend subscribes to my iCal so that he doesnt have to constantly ask me about my work schedule or what the date was of some event we were going to or when i am in class...etc. Also, any changes you make to your calendar (no matter which device you make it on) it is automatically pushed to all your other devices so youre alwasy up to date.

MobileMe will also keep your contacts up to date on all your computers and iPhone and pushes changes out just like iCal does. You can also access them through the web, which could be handy if your phone dies and you need access to a particular number/email from your address book.

Another thing MobileMe does for me is sync my safari bookmarks between my iPhone, iMac, and MacBook. I always have all my bookmarks with me.

Another nice feature of MobileMe is the iDisk. This is great if you have multiple computers or need to access particular files away from your own personal computers. Your important files will always be backed up on Apples servers and you will have access to them anywhere you are. I use this with school. I never have to say "oh i left my report on my iMac or whatever because i can always get to it.

All of these features can be syncecd with Windows as well through Outlook if you use it, though i doubt it works as smoothly.

MobileMe can also sync all settings, dashboard widgets, password keychains, dock applications, notes, mail accounts between your macs.

I hope this helps some.

9. pundapun macrumors newbie

I've had my .Mac/MobileMe account for almost a year now and will not renew it when it comes time. I used it primarily to host my website and data storage. Outside of that, most functions can be found for free somewhere on the web.

For emails, Yahoo/Exchange support push. Gmail will soon follow.

For contacts, you can already sync iphone/mac addressBook/google contacts.

For calendars, you can have a unidirectional sync with ical/gCal.

So basically, you'll be paying $100 for 20GB storage.

10. FaustArp thread starter macrumors regular

FaustArp

Yesum:D I have 2 macbook pros a mac mini and an imac