Is MobileMe for ME???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lokerd, May 31, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I bought MM two weeks ago under a little pressure from the sales person along with my iPad 3g. I can return it today.

I don't think it is for me.

Mainly, I use about 9 different computers on a regular basis, from laptops to desktops, Mac and PC. One of the things that has been driving me crazy is syncing my life between all the computers and I have been really pushing for things like Google Docs, and To Do list and Notes on my iGoogle page. And I don't want to be tied down to have to sync to a computer.

In fact, the first computer (a laptop) I synced my WIFI iPad to died a week later and is off for repair. Point is that it cause a disruption trying to get a new computer (this time I used my primary desktop at home) sycned, especially when I bought the 3g.

Question is...is MM for me? I don't really like the idea of paying $99 a year to be synced, etc. Am I missing something? Will this free me from being tied down to computers?

Thanks for any HELP!

[MODs...feel free to move this thread...wasn't sure which place to put it in (iPad APP, Mac APP, iPad Acces, etc.)

Thanks!

2. reubs macrumors 68000

I don't know what you mean by having to sync to one computer, but if all 9 computers are your own I don't see why you couldn't DL the mobile me preference pane SW to the PCs and configure the Macs w/ your info as well.

If all of your info is up in the cloud, it shouldn't matter what computer you originally synced up with. All the info up in the cloud will be shot down to all your computers (mac and PCs) that have your MM info registered.

Or am I missing something in your post?

3. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

synching my life = what exactly?

4. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Well, everything...all the "Notes" that are on hundreds of pieces of paper in multiple places as well as computer notes on my phone, iGoogle, google docs, and even some new ones collecting in Notes on my iPad and Evernote, until I figure where I ultimately want to store the little "notes of life", etc., contacts on my sprint phone vs email on my laptops, todo items, appointments and events, music, photos, websites that I maintain, bookmarks, etc.

I just don't know enough about MobileMe...and how it works. So, I can install the base software in multiple places?

The packaging and the salespeople seem pretty vague. I don't want another email account. Will I have to use Apple email? If my public calendar is Google Calendar as it has an app for my website, but I only use it to manage my specific paid events, not my personal events, like doctors appointments, and other calendar events, will that be another waste?

I just don't want to open it, and not be able to return it. I mean, I want something to consolidate everything, but I think I have already been working toward this solution.

I use Xmarks to sync bookmarks across all of the computers. I try to use iGoogle and Google Docs, but my Palm Centro wasn't very compatible, so I still would be left in the dark. I have been hoping the iPad would consolidate everything. I am just not sure if I need MM to help with this. IOW, I don't want to change systems again. It seems like every couple of years I am switching systems, etc. My job took almost all of my Macs away about 4 years ago. Shoot...I still have notes from my Newton that I wish I could get re-imported somewhere.

I love the iPad...but I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now...because information and stuff TODO is piling up!!

Thanks!