Is MobileMe supposed to work like this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Jul 21, 2009.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

So far I am loving my new MobileMe service. One thing that I'm finding is that if I delete or move an email through www.me.com on my Mac, my iPhone does not seem to update until a new message comes through.

For example:

I open MobileMe in Safari and see that I have 3 new messages. I choose to delete two of them and move the other to a folder. My iPhone continues to show the "3" badge on the Mail icon until either a new email arrives or I go into the Mail app and manually check mail.

Is this normal?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would say it is how it works but I don't think it's the norm. When I open an e-mail on my desktop it still shows as unread on my phone until I open my mail app and click on that account.

3. nitemare macrumors regular

thats how my mobileme works unless i have push turned on then it almost mirrors what i do on either me.com or in the mail app on my macbook

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. The General macrumors 601

I have asked Support several times. They say it could take up to 15 minutes for those kinds of changes to get pushed to the iPhone.

They are holding out on us. It's very irritating.

6. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Yes, this is normal. Not the way we all want it to work but hopefully that will change in the future.

7. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I believe that's how all push mail works on the iPhone. It waits for incoming mail, but nothing else. I'm assuming it does this for battery life. If Mail updated for every change, battery life would probably be worse.

8. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just glad I'm not alone. It's not a big deal, just wanted to make sure this wasn't out of the ordinary.

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Used to have this happen when I had push enabled.

Now I just use fetch since push was eating too much of my battery for my liking. So naturally, when its fetching, it refreshes itself.

But its annoying isn't it?

10. crewrules101 macrumors member

Difference between Mail app (desktop) and Mail (iPhone)

One thing that I have noticed when working in Mail on my computer versus when I use it on my iPhone is that my iPhone seems to get mail messages quicker than the desktop. Normally I will hear the "ding" from my phone saying I have a new email, and then my laptop will take about a minute to get it. I also have mail set on my laptop to check for new mail every minute, though the Push feature does not seem to work instantaneously like it does on the iPhone. Sometimes too Mail on my laptop will take about 2-3 minutes to recieve the message.

As for the post question, when you move a message or read it either on the web interface or on the desktop Mail app, it does take time for the iPhone to reflect those changes. I have found the easiest thing to do is hit the refresh button on the iPhone mail app so that I am looking at the most current version of my mail's inbox.

11. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is how mine works as well. I hope this is updated.