Is MobileMe worth it if you don't use an Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GUILTIE, Jul 10, 2008.

1. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Well all my contacts are on my cell phone, and I don't use the contacts at all on my IPT. I'm 15 so I don't have a calendar/schedule that would be pushed. I supposed I might make one if I got it but I really don't need a calendar. iDisk doesn't seem to be of any use. The only real use I see if for hosting web pages. What about you - any non-iPhone users see a real use for mobileme?

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I myself have a large calendar that is almost a necessity that it be in sync, and Idisk is an invaluable tool to me. It sounds like Mobile Me just isn't what your looking for, if you don't have a need really for any of these things, then best save your money for something else

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, I didn't have an iPhone for over seven years and I still used iTools/.mac and it was worth it. If you don't have a mac, I don't see much value in it. If you combine that with no iPhone, it hardly makes any sense to me.

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

well i like the email and idisk especaily now with 20 gigs thats impressive i think those two things are worth it

5. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

20 gigs is a lot, but what are you going to be storing on it? As much as I'd like to take advantage of what Apple is offering here, it just doesn't seem like it's for me...

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you'd like to find out if it is for you, they will most likely be offering a trial version within a few days. The .mac ones went for 60 days, so this will probably be the same.

7. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, although I don't actually have a Mac yet and I'd like to be able to use the discount when purchasing it. But I suppose it would be worth it to wait and do the trial.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

When you buy it with a mac, you just get a box with a code in it. It doesn't have to be a new account. As long as you activate it within 9 months, you're good to go. I get a new mac about every 15 months and I always take the $69 .mac deal, even if my subscription doesn't expire for a while.

9. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow, that's good to know! So you're saying even if I don't select it as an option: [​IMG]

I can still opt in later for $69?

10. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the same thing. Although I have a MBP and ipod touch. Cons seem to be that I need to be connected to wifi for my itouch to stay updated, and in Wyoming that's near impossible. Might have to go w/ a pre-paid iphone and see how well that works

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If hosting if the only features you are going to take advantage of, then I'd stay away from MobileMe. There are many hosting services that are much cheaper than MobileMe. Try it out though. Maybe you'll like some of the other features. If not, then get hosting elsewhere.

12. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Can you use the websites you make in iWeb with another host?

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

no no no. When you buy the mac, you get a box with the code inside. You can use that code once as long as it's in nine months of purchase. It can be used to create a new account, upgrade a trial (even if dormant), or renew a subscription.

So if you were to buy a mobileme subscription now and you buy a mac in November, you could get the $69 discount with the computer and save it to renew your account next year.