Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hello Forum,

I currently have a 20" imac, 2ghz intel core 2 Duo, 1gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram. I am running Leopard.

I have researched and know what kind of memory I need to buy but I was wondering if any of you think that moving up from 1gb will help with the speed of my computer?

Also, if I should go up in memory, I am not sure if I should bump up the ram to 2gb, 3gb, or 4gb. I have read many posts on this but haven't found a consensus.

As for my usage, I surf the web, skype, use iphoto, imovie, idvd, and itunes mostly.

Thanks,

cfs

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Launch Activity Monitor and look at the System Memory tab at the bottom. If, under normal workloads, you have a significant amount of "page outs" and "swap used", you likely need more RAM. While everyone's needs are different, a great number of people would benefit from having 4GB of RAM these days.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Launch Activity Monitor and look at the System Memory tab at the bottom. If, under normal workloads, you have a significant amount of "page outs" and "swap used", you likely need more RAM. While everyone's needs are different, a great number of people would benefit from having 4GB of RAM these days.

Thanks,

My page outs are 751.mb and my swap used is 1.02gb. Is this alot for my computers 1gb memory?

Thanks Again,

cfs

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
When your swapping (anything greater then a couple megs) that's the sure fire sign that you need to upgrade your RAM.

your swapping 1.02GB that's slightly more then 1GB so going from 1GB to 2GB you may still witness some slow downs.

If you don't use your computer for gaming or 3D rendering, or hard core video editing (doubt it since you did not go for the pro). Chances are you really don't need to upgrade (or want to upgrade at the price of a new mac).

I would really recommend you upgrade to 4GB of RAM, it will save you having to upgrade later, and since its DDR2, which is really already replaced by DDR3, prices on it wont go any lower, and you can keep your computer for a longer period of time, and it will last as the new things come.

The benefits of upgrading your RAM is you wont get that massive slow down that occurs when you have a lot of programs open, or working on iDVD/iMovie projects.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
When your swapping (anything greater then a couple megs) that's the sure fire sign that you need to upgrade your RAM.

your swapping 1.02GB that's slightly more then 1GB so going from 1GB to 2GB you may still witness some slow downs.

If you don't use your computer for gaming or 3D rendering, or hard core video editing (doubt it since you did not go for the pro). Chances are you really don't need to upgrade (or want to upgrade at the price of a new mac).

I would really recommend you upgrade to 4GB of RAM, it will save you having to upgrade later, and since its DDR2, which is really already replaced by DDR3, prices on it wont go any lower, and you can keep your computer for a longer period of time, and it will last as the new things come.

The benefits of upgrading your RAM is you wont get that massive slow down that occurs when you have a lot of programs open, or working on iDVD/iMovie projects.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

Thanks for the rec. I don't game, I just use lots of programs at once and my computer is starting to lag 3.5 years later. I think I will take your suggestion.

cfs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.