Is more ram better than less ram? sticks not total GB

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by THRobinson, Jul 25, 2010.

1. THRobinson macrumors member

THRobinson

I have a G5 2.0Ghz DP with 8 ram slots where the PC3200 needs installed in pairs.

It has now 2x512MB.

What I am wondering is... does ram work better with more or fewer sticks?

Meaning.... if I wanted 4GB ram total, is it better to have

2x2GB (which I can't do on this system)
    4x1GB
    8x512MB

Just wondered if ram worked better with more/smaller sticks, or fewer/bigger ones.

Also... how picky is a MAC really for ram? Use to be very picky but... if I get PC3200 400mhz will it work? Kingston, Patriot, OCZ... name brands not generic.

Thanks.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

As long as it isn't high density, you're good to go. Watch out for deals on eBay, lots of those cheap sticks are high density which only works in about 10% of all computers made, making it difficult to resell if you accidentally get some (speaking from experience). As for what combinations work best, I really don't know if it matters. 2GB with 4x512 seems to be cheaper, but you lose further expansion without removing sticks. I don't believe there is any performance difference at all. I personally settled on some SuperTalent RAM for my June 04 G5s. Its inexpensive, works perfect, and has heat spreaders on it. It also plays nice with the Kingston RAM that was already in the system.

3. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

Well, I tend to pick a number (in this case 4GB) install it and never think about it again until time for a new system. :) Expansion isn't a problem... was looking for the cheapest method at the same time, didn't want to go cheap and find out it hinders performance.

How does someone check if High Density? I was looking at the PC3200 400hz and worried about latency timing (ie 3-3-3-4 an such) and wondered if that was a compatibility factor ... never heard about density though.

eBay wise, I just got a video card from eBay (6800GT 256MB AGP) as an upgrade... but when it comes to finiky small items like RAM, I'll pay reg price and buy from either TigerDirect.ca or NCIX.com (Canada). I saw some stuff from Centon I think is the name, that's MAC certified... but they also make non-certified ram with the exact same specs for $10 less which is why I was wondering what I should be looking for spec wise.

$46 for 1GB, so cheaper than $28 for 512MB, maybe just get 2x1GB Centon leave it at 3GB total. For designing with illustrator/photoshop its probably enough (?)

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Here is how high density differs from low density. All low density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 64Mx8 device. All high density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 128Mx4 device. That means they'll look the same, but there will probably be a sticker on the RAM that designates how the chips are configured. If you're not sure about it, ask the seller to specify and send you a picture of the stickers on the RAM.

5. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

Cool thanks...

Luckily, the ram I was looking at has about 56 comments on it (reviews) and about 20 in I saw a guy post he bought them for his G5 and worked no issues so, will buy the 2x1GB Centons. :)

Though good to know about the high density... I knew they somethings have all chips on one side, or both... but din't know the chips were different as well.