Is More Ram going to make my mac faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxpikachuxX, Mar 16, 2011.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

Hi there i have an aluminum macbook which i bough 2 years ago i love it :rolleyes: and i dont think there no need for a new one but i have recently seeing that when i use safari especially flash player my computer get really laggy and slow :S i have 2 gb if i go to 4 well it help it? i recently took it to the apple store and got the hdd replace and new battery :) so no problem with the hdd it almost clean new :) i got it on dec or january but yeah, also where could i get the ram for less money?
    i only use my computer for msn, itunes and safari and skype and alittle video editing like once every month or so like 10 mn clips or less :) if that helps!

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Look how many page outs you get in the activity monitor. This is where you will see if you need more RAM. Too much is useless. Depends what usage you have of your computer.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

What the poster above me said.
    Plus, 2GB is just not enough anymore if you have a few things open.
    What you need to look at is this screen in activity monitor:

Attached Files:

4. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

5. Paquis macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and upgraded RAM from 2Gb to 4Gb. Installing the chip was a breeze and i am delighted with the result. Performance is great now.

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

4gb is relatively cheap these days, probably would help out quite a bit (depending on activity monitor results) and it would be good for resale. I'd say consider it :)

7. rforsyth macrumors newbie

Ive got 10.31 gb of page outs in my activity monitor would more ram help?
    It 2.26gb intel core 2 duo with 2gb ddr3 ram

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Seems like a lot of page outs, but will depend on how long since you last rebooted. I guess you must have a *lot* of tabs open. An upgrade to 4GB can't hurt.

Worth checking you have the latest version of Flash Player installed as well.