Is Mountain Lion worth the grief?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by drgrafix, Aug 20, 2012.

1. drgrafix macrumors regular

I have a iMac 24" 2.8GHz with 6Gigs RAM, and a MBP with a SSD, 4Gigs. Honestly have to say I'm confused about the value of the upgrade as it seems there are as many "WOWS!" as there are "UGHS!" if you poke around.

If/When I upgrade it would be as an upgrade installed over ML, I'm not keen on completely reformatting my HDDs and re-installing all my applications and the related support data.

So I'm curious, id this new OS a breakthrough that will enhance my Macs performance as in speed, or is it just a collection of new bells & whistles that will (maybe) enhance my productivity?

Thanks for any/all advice.

Mike

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You could give a try to just upgrading without a clean install. In most cases, it'll just work. (Nevertheless, I myself always do a clean install with a complete reformat.)

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I like (and agree with) Ars Technica's though on it, which I think speaks to the gist of what type of upgrade it is.

"It's easy to view OS X 10.8 as "what 10.7 should have been." The flip side of this argument is that the real-world mileage we’ve all put on Lion has helped Apple make the right kinds of adjustments in Mountain Lion. If we'd had to wait almost three years after 10.6 for the next major release of OS X, chances are good that the worst of the missteps in Lion would just be landing on our doorsteps today. I'll take 10.8, thanks."

If I were you, I'd use SuperDuper to make a clone of your internal SSD to an external USB drive. Then upgrade your Mac to Mountain Lion and play with it for a week. If you don't like it, you can use SuperDuper to copy the external USB drive to your SSD, essentially "rolling back" to Lion.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Coming from SL and especially with multiple monitors NO.

Lion I suppose yes.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What's wrong with multiple monitors on ML?

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

I bet that he will say that they are just as broken as ML made them with full screen.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:confused: But Snow Leopard doesn't have full screen, so I'm not sure how that would be a disadvantage for ML with multiple monitors.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I upgraded with no grief whatsoever from Lion
    Easy peasy with not issues

Works well for me and most others
    Yes, there are some who voice issues, but they are a very small minority of users

9. laudern macrumors 6502a

lol that is true... Just dont go full screen in ML and you are in the same situation as you would be in SL

10. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Snow Leopard here. Does all I need and it literally screams on today's MBP's.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Whereby "literally" you mean "figuratively" and "today's MBP's" you mean "last year's MBP's"?

:D

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Almost no one brags about their wheels NOT squeaking.;)

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

:D

Correct on all counts!

Silly me... poor MBP owners of 2012 (and future) will never come to know SL.

15. pdjudd macrumors 601

I know, but that doesn't stop people complaining about full screen taking up all displays for one app (blanking out the second display).