Is My 2 Week Old HD Dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pilotkid, Jul 3, 2009.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for your help! Two or three weeks ago I purchased a Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200rpm hard drive from Best Buy. Since then I have had my MacBook freeze on me 3 times, before I replaced my HD it had never froze on me before, that I can remember. Today I get home from work, and go to enter my password to get the screen saver to go off and BOOM there is goes, its frozen. So I held the power button to get it to turn off and let it sit for about 5 secs. Turn it back on, grey screen...it did make the "Chime" sound though. Hold the power button again to turn it off, I let it sit about a min. and tried to turn it on again. Same thing, I hear the chime, and then just the gray screen. I let it sit on the gray screen for a min and then a folder appears flashing at me with a question mark in the middle. My HD is dead isnt it!?:( Nothing else has changed, not the ram or anything.
    My MacBook specs are in my signature.
    Thanks again for your help!!!

2. RDM3 macrumors regular

Wow maybe it is dead or could it be another component that died? Who installed the HD?

If you installed the new HD, did you try installing the old one to see if it does the same thing?

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I installed the HD myself, no I havent tried the old one yet. I have it handy, I just haven't popped it in yet. It was all working beautifully until this just happend:rolleyes:

4. RDM3 macrumors regular

Maybe take it out and check to see if it is still connected, maybe something came loose? If that won't work try the old HD and see what happens

5. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

back up and reformat if that doesn't work then bring it back might be defective

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

wow, weird. Is it making any strange noises? but yeah, definitely try the old one. As for the one you bought, if its past bestbuy's return window, seagate should have their own warranty on it.

7. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

luckily time machine did regular back ups and my 150gb iTunes library is on a 2nd external hd that is also backed up with time machine on another separate hd...looks like my obsessiveness to having everything backed up paid off!

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

10. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Earlier this morning I did what everyone said. I put the old HD back in and everything was as good as new...damn Best Buy, I've had bad luck with them lately...I'll be returning the HD very soon! Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!!!

11. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

In all likelihood the blame lies with Seagate. When I read your thread title, "Is My 2 Week Old HD Dead?" I immediately thought "Seagate". Wasn't at all surprised to see "Seagate" in the first line of your post. By all anecdotal accounts (including my own experience), Seagate drives have a high failure rate these days. I've had way too many of them fail on me, often within a week or two of purchase. I absolutely won't buy the brand anymore.