is my 2012 macbook air ssd dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Acorn, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I had trouble with applications just crashing and not opening. they would just immediately close. so I reboot and it wont boot. so I go into recover to reinstall and the reinstall keeps failing right at the end. I checked with disk utility and it showed the disk as corrupt. so I try and run the repair and the repair says its fixed. but when i scan it again it says its still corrupt. so I wrote zeros to the entire drive then did internet recovery. this worked and i had a semi working copy of lion on it. some install updates would outright fail while trying to install.

so now i said i need to upgrade to mountain lion. ran the mountain lion installer and it failed. again. sigh. back to no working os. so i go in to disk utility to see if the drive was corrupt again and this time the entire drive does show up in the list. it just shows a 1g recovery that i cant connect to on boot. I dont know what to do now since there is no drive showing for me to reinstall or format.

is it dead?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like the SSD is dead. Is it the 128GB version by any chance? there is a long thread here documenting these things dropping like flies.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

yes its the 128 gb (not samsung) i believe.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those 128GB SSDs are made by Toshiba with a Sandforce controller. If you are out of warranty you might try to get Apple to make an exception and fix you up. These things are obviously defective.

5. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

thanks I have applecare. its just the hassle of sitting through a genius meeting ect before them actually taking it in for repair. Im extremely annoyed as this machine is only 1 year (barely) old. its not like its 5 years old.