Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I booted it up this morning and the following appeared right before the normal Apple logo and then the OSX Utility menu pops up with the options to restore from backup, etc.

prohibitory_sign.thumbnail.png

Do I actually have a Hard Drive failure? I've assumed that is what is wrong considering I have exactly the model that has been recalled but the symptoms aren't exactly the same as what I've read from others.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
When I have the SSD replaced, they won't put Mavericks on it before giving it back to me, will they? I'd rather stick with ML until Mavericks is more refined. I have a bunch of ML Time Machine backups if that helps.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They'll probably restore whatever OS your computer shipped with, and you can usually specify.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
when my hard drive failed they restored mountain lion to it. originally my computer shipped with lion i believe. it had all the hidden restore partitions too. so they may put mavericks on it..

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Still have my MBA. For some reason, they had me take it while they wait for the SSD to come on as they had to order it. Kind of a pain since that means I'll have to drive it back to the store and drop it off and then pick it up once the repair is done. Not impressed with Apple's customer service right now. My computer is less than a year old (purchased in December 2012). If it fails, they should give me a replacement instead of making me wait for who knows how long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.