Is my 27" I5 Imac broken?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hectigol, Mar 2, 2010.

1. hectigol macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Been using my 27" Imac for slightly over a week now and have noticed some issues.

There is an audible buzz/scratching sound every time machine goes into power saving mode or when screen is dimmed, it sounds exactly the same as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXyH1XGFFck

The machine is dead silent when screen is at full brightness though. The buzz/scratching sound only happens in dim and power saving mode when machine is warm; its extremely annoying.

Does anyone else have this problem too?

Mine's a W8006 and the lower portion in the middle of the screen is yellowish as well. :(

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. hectigol thread starter macrumors newbie

Called Apple's line and went tru' several procedures without avail.

Was told to perform an extended hardware test, doing so as as I type this post on another machine. Is it normal for the Imac to get scorching hot during the hardware test? The top left hand corner is now so hot I can barely rest my finger on for a second.

Tech support mentioned its probably a hardware issue.

4. StarTzar macrumors member

Yes, it is broken.... Bring it back and ask for a replacement.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hardware test stresses all components so yes, it's normal to be hot.

Did you call to AppleCare or return/replacement center? Because you're in that 14 day return time, you can return it WITHOUT a reason. Call them again now and say you want to replace it before the time runs out.