Is my 3G bricked? (Solved!)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by .macstiled, Jun 23, 2010.

1. .macstiled macrumors member

Hi all,

First, thank you for reading. If anyone can be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Even if the diagnosis is that I am SOL, I'd just like to know so I can move on to another kind of phone, instead of just being angry over the situation. At this point I just need a phone! :)

So...

Carefully following this, I went to restore using the appropriate .ipsw as instructed, but when it was done I got the emergency call screen with the USB cable pointing to iTunes. Phone was plugged in, and was also fully charged. There were no disruptions during this procedure. Also, there's this "i" info icon on the right side that, when clicked, displays a box with IMEI: #s, and ICCID: #s.

Tried DFU, but that just gave me the USB cable pointing to iTunes image and nothing else.

Been using this 3G since 11/08, but have never had an issue until now. I hope there is a way to fix it myself.

Other potentially important info:

Running an Early 2008 Mac Pro.

AT&T contract ended 05/07/10, but I did not re-new. There's just barely any AT&T cellular service to speak of in West L.A., so I decided I was going to Unlock and JB my 3G, then join my girlfriend's iPhone 2G on T-Mobile. But of course... I had the 3.1.3 firmware with a bootrom and baseloader that couldn't be unlocked at the time, so I decided to wait for iOS4. And why I'm here, writing this now.

A week ago I upgraded my Bootcamp OS to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate from Vista x64 Ultimate, but I never synced with iTunes (assuming this won't matter, but wanted to be thorough). I also did not do a backup of the iPhone (which for me was fine since I already manually backed up what I needed), so not sure if that may have contributed.

Starting to think I should have done the manual .ipsw restore in Leopard... :(

Again, thank you for reading, and for any assistance or replies that may help my predicament!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

First of all, it is impossible to brick an iPhone 3G.

Second of all, you did not put your phone in DFU mode. In DFU mode, there will be nothing on your screen. Keep trying until you get the timing right.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

Edit: I watched the wrong video... so sorry, -aggie-. Glad your DFU link is the one I'm following now :)

5. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

thelatinist,

Thank you for trying to help. Currently following iClarified's DFU mode tutorial, but guess my timing needs work. Will report back with progress :)

6. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

So the problem was either my iTunes installation in Windows 7, or Win7 itself. Once I plugged the phone in everything just worked flawlessly (including DFU mode, which I tried at least 40 times - unsuccessfully - in Windows.) Thanks for the help!