Is my 512Ke getting too hot?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Apr 17, 2014.

1. tevion5, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

My 512Ke used never get noticeabley hot even when running for over an hour. However, I recently got a lovely 1986 Apple 800K drive (I hope to get a HD20 in the future). I have had using it almost 20 minutes when I noticed the top vent was far warmer than usual. I could feel the hear on my face from 10cm from the top. This was not the case before.

My 512Ke is currently quite bested out in terms of peripherals. I've got external speakers, a LocalTalk adapter, a MacMan Midi Interface, the new external floppy drive, and of course the mouse, connected at once.

Is this heat increase normal? Should I invest in a system saver thing?

2. Realnanners macrumors member

Realnanners

Well, I would first check and see if the fan is still working. if it is still on open the Mac open and check for dust. Dust can get stuck it fans and make less space for air to go though the machine. :apple:realnanners

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

See that's the thing. Jobs didn't like fans as they were noisy so he didn't put them in the first mac. His stubbornness actually resulted in engineers inventing the modern computer PSU for the Apple II. He didn't expect these things to last until 2014 however...

4. Realnanners macrumors member

Realnanners

I am here to help you !

Okay, I have looked it to the computer and it seems like the power supply is going out or you should clean the computer out. Tell me how I did. :apple:realnanners

5. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Sounds like the Sweep/Analog board is being overloaded, maybe the LoBo is pulling too much power?

If you plan to continue using the machine like this, I would recommend getting that System Saver. Remember, the Floppy Drive is pulling power directly from the LoBo which is connected to the sweep board. If you use the machine with just the keyboard and mouse, does it still get as hot?

My 512Ke and Plus get fairly warm after using for about 15-20 minutes. I try to keep the CRT power levels low, but with that Floppy Drive attached it can get warm.