Is my 6+ Battery Usage Normal @ 80% Brightness?

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I'm getting 6-7 hours of screen on time on my 6+. I see people posting astronomical usage figures, nearly double mine. Are these people keeping their brightness at 0? I keep mine at 80% or higher all the time. If 6-7 hours is normal for my brightness setting I could live with that. Just want to see if my phone is performing as expected.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I'm getting 6-7 hours of screen on time on my 6+. I see people posting astronomical usage figures, nearly double mine. Are these people keeping their brightness at 0? I keep mine at 80% or higher all the time. If 6-7 hours is normal for my brightness setting I could live with that. Just want to see if my phone is performing as expected.

I get about 12-16hours of usage with 40-45% Brightness...so I think at 80% Brightness, you are getting pretty good...?

I have my brightness to manual, I set it accordingly when needed. As I am mostly indoor, I do not need it to be super bright.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I get about 12-16hours of usage with 40-45% Brightness...so I think at 80% Brightness, you are getting pretty good...?

I have my brightness to manual, I set it accordingly when needed. As I am mostly indoor, I do not need it to be super bright.
Thank you. I guess I didn't realize just how much of a dent in the battery life the brightness makes.

I'd like to hear a few more comments from people getting these extraordinary usage numbers. What's your brightness set to?

richgirl

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014

At 25% brightness, I can barely get 10.

To the OP, there are a lot of different factors contributing to battery life. You have to consider what apps are these people using who get astronomical battery life. Is it mainly music / streaming apps that use zilch? Stock apps? Third party apps that suck up a lot of juice? Even the way they use these apps.

While using IG isn't a big battery drain for me...b/c I get 200-500 likes on IG per pic, I know if I post a pic on IG that that alone trumps my battery to where I only get 7 hrs a day. The average overall seems to be as long as you're within 8-10 with heavy usage you're good.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014

To the OP, there are a lot of different factors contributing to battery life. You have to consider what apps are these people using who get astronomical battery life. Is it mainly music / streaming apps that use zilch? Stock apps? Third party apps that suck up a lot of juice? Even the way they use these apps.

While using IG isn't a big battery drain for me...b/c I get 200-500 likes on IG per pic, I know if I post a pic on IG that that alone trumps my battery to where I only get 7 hrs a day. The average overall seems to be as long as you're within 8-10 with heavy usage you're good.
I have everything set in a way that it works for me so I get the most use.

I limit what apps get access to location services and also limit background app refresh.

richgirl

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I have everything set in a way that it works for me so I get the most use.

I limit what apps get access to location services and also limit background app refresh.
I have location services and background refresh off. I still havent surpassed 10 hours.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I have location services and background refresh off. I still havent surpassed 10 hours.
Hows your reception? I am on WiFi lots. with 3-4bars of AT&T service at all times.

I also have 5 email accounts (50-100 emails daily), do few hundred texts daily, browse the web, listen to preloaded music for almost 2 hours daily, make about an hour worth of calls daily and thats about all i do.

I dont stream music or watch youtube videos on my phone as while at my desk I have my laptop at work or home.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
My reception is often 2-3 bars because the signal at my house is poor. When I am at home I turn wifi on. Does wifi eat up more juice than 4G with a bad signal? I have background app refresh off and location services off or set to when using the app.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
why are you running 80% brightness? the plus is extremely bright so i run it lower than my 5s. about 33% vs. 50% on my 5s.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
why are you running 80% brightness? the plus is extremely bright so i run it lower than my 5s. about 33% vs. 50% on my 5s.
I'm used to keeping my screen bright. Anything lower than 80% starts to seem dull to me. I paid a lot for this beautiful screen. I don't want to look at it and think how much better it actually is if I only had the brightness up.

For the record I used to keep my 5 at 90-100%, more often that not 100%.

richgirl

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Hows your reception? I am on WiFi lots. with 3-4bars of AT&T service at all times.

I also have 5 email accounts (50-100 emails daily), do few hundred texts daily, browse the web, listen to preloaded music for almost 2 hours daily, make about an hour worth of calls daily and thats about all i do.

I dont stream music or watch youtube videos on my phone as while at my desk I have my laptop at work or home.
My reception is actually not that great. 1 or 2 bars for the most part. I'm lucky if I'm at 3. I do use a lot of wifi but you're right--if your reception is bad even with wifi it will drain your battery.

Other than that, my main battery drain is IG. I can see the percentages come down when 30 likes start coming in all at once and keeps going for 3 hrs. #

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I ran mine down to 1% yesterday from a full charge.

Brightness around 40% I think. Auto-brightness turned on.

I didn't use it as much over that 2 day span.

Usage was 12 hours 23 min of actual usage.
Standby time was a total of 2 days 3 hours.

So just over 2 full days with more than 12 hours of usage across those 2 days.

I charged it last night but really didn't use it much today. Quite low usage.

2 hours 35 minutes usage.
Standby at 20 hours 30 minutes.
Remaining battery is 82%.

I'll be very busy tomorrow and don't expect to be on it that much, so I may get three days on this charge cycle.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
You do realise that the Usage statistic is not screen on time right?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Well yes but I only use my phone with the screen on so isn't it the same then?
For you yes but someone else might might of just played music for their entire usage some comparing usage with other people is a bit pointless.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA

You could always turn the alerts off if you want to save on battery.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I'm used to keeping my screen bright. Anything lower than 80% starts to seem dull to me. I paid a lot for this beautiful screen. I don't want to look at it and think how much better it actually is if I only had the brightness up.

For the record I used to keep my 5 at 90-100%, more often that not 100%.
Agreed. 100% all the time for me unless in the dark or desperately need to conserve battery, which rarely happens as I'm charged up when I start my day.

You don't pay big bucks for a nice quality tv and then turn down the brightness lol. Same goes for any display imo

But your usage seems fine. I'm about 7 hours in with anywhere from 20-30% battery life left.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Update:

Decided to use the phone at 50% brightness today to see what effect it would have on my battery life. To say it was huge would be an understatement.

I took the phone off the charger at 5:00AM this morning, it was at 100%. I didn't use it a ton today but I did accumulate 1 hr and 31 minutes of usage, all with the screen on. In that 91 minutes my battery depleted by only 10%. By that math I would expect to get over 15 hours of usage! That is more than double what I was getting at 80% brightness, I was amazed.

That said I don't like using the phone as much at 50% brightness. I'm going to pump it up to about 70% tomorrow to see if the 10% reduction equates to measurable increases in battery life from what I was getting at 80% brightness. If I can increase my usage to about 7-8 hours at a brightness I am comfortable with I would be totally content. As a reminder I was getting 6-7 hours at 80% brightness so it might be doable at 70% brightness.

Now I see how people are getting these insane usage numbers. They're real you just have to be willing to accept a less bright screen.

Last edited:

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Mine is around 80% or 85% brightness and I got a it same as you. I like a nice bright screen so could never go under 80% brightness. I'm going 100% tomorrow and see see what I get.

Pic soon
4% left then it died
Usage 6 hours 11 minutes
Standby 11 hours 11 minutes

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Mine is at 70-75% which is the minimum brightness I like to use. I get 8-9 hours with normal use on my 6. But the other day I got 12 hours when using a lot of streaming radio and gps with the screen off.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
These are bright screens. I think 50% is a good compromise between longevity and brightness.