Is my 8600MGT Fried? (Pics Included)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamSchneeberger, Dec 9, 2008.

1. SamSchneeberger macrumors member

(First off, I posted this in the "all 8600 screwed"post but that thread has gone off topic, and I'm in urgent need for support because of future photoshoots)

Feb 2008 bought 2.5-Pen 17" (just came out...)

The Story:

So I decide I launch to launch up Armed Assault on the Windows this morning and I notice the performance is horrible. Put my hand on the bottom to check heat... cold as ice. Restarted a couple times/triplechecked settings-power-graphics...etc.

What I did:

I reinstalled the drivers. Been using 180.44 and installed 180.48 because they said it worked like a charm on the MBP. I checked the Armed Assault and the performance was back. But then while loading I got this:
    [​IMG]

Restarted Computer and and it froze while loading the game but with no texture problems. Loaded the game again and I got this:
    [​IMG]

Up next:
    It felt like the drivers were messing it up so I installed the Dox'2 180.43 (compatible with 8600...) and I got the best performance I've ever seen on my MPB, almost all games (except FlightSim 2004) ran smooth. I exit Flightsim and I get this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't had a single sign of any kind of problem on OSX.

Is this a Driver or Graphics Card problem? If its a Graphics card problem is this the lovely faulty GPU/Graphics card problem everyones on about?

Thanks,
    Sam :(

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Run 3dmark - that should tell you in a jiffy.

3. Chris F macrumors regular

If OSX is working fine then it's 100% a driver problem.

4. voltare macrumors member

It looks good. I like the impressionistic feeling from some of those shots. I say keep it the way it is!

5. Yell0w macrumors regular

i get that pink screen when i open itunes on my vmware fusion.

6. hajime macrumors 68040

I had similar problems the next day I bought the MBP. The genius at Apple Store said that it was a motherboard problem and exchanged a new MBP for me.

7. six.four macrumors 6502

as stated above.. if it runs fine is OS X, it's likely a driver issue. To be sure, grab a program that will stress the GPU on OS x and see if any artifacts pop up.

In windows, use a driver cleaner to clean the video drivers and reinstall different drivers. Try 177.92 - I've used it with rock solid stability on my 8600m gt overclocked.

8. SamSchneeberger thread starter macrumors member

Got...

3DMark Score 4441 3DMarks
    SM 2.0 Score 1748
    SM 3.0 Score 1671
    CPU Score 2278

:D

I can't be a graphics card problem nor CPU if I am getting better results than the average (4300 3dmarks).

I am going to go for the driver clean up option. Anyone recommend a good driver cleaner?

Thanks,
    Sam